Advice for Moms

auntkim737
Baby shower for someone I don't really know...
October 14, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Hi Everyone.

I was recently asked to throw a baby shower for "my side of the family" for someone I don't really know and I'm not sure how to respond. To give you some background, one of my parents has a significant other who recently was reunited with their children (estranged from a bad divorce). One of them is now pregnant.

How well do we now know each other? We all had dinner together at a restaurant once (not quite a year ago) and all shared a day with our parents around this time last year. I don't know their phone number, friends, home address, etc., and my out of town family members (almost all of them) have never met these children. On FB they friended me but there has been no contact (like, comment, or response to a positive comment I made) so even through that venue-I don't feel connected.

I don't mind buying them a gift but feel extremely awkward about hosting a shower in this case.

As a side note, this is not their first child and they are having another baby shower for friends and other family. What would you do?
Would you host this shower?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 8% - Yes, it's the right thing to do.
  2. 91% - No, it's not appropriate.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    October 14, 2012 at 4:30 AM

I would tell whomever requested you do it, no ty since you do not know the person very well and that person can throw them a shower if they choose to.  I would hate to be backed into a corner like that.

• A.J.s_mommy
    October 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    I would say "I don't want to do it", and just send them a gift.
  • cjsix
    by cjsix
    October 14, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Just explain to whomever asked that you have only met them twice and don't know them enough to feel comfortable throwing a baby shower. They may be thinking that it would help bring these "children" closer to the family. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that either,though I would still do something for the baby.

• auntkim737
    October 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    I do love kids and am looking forward to getting some things for the baby :)
  • Lindalou907
    October 14, 2012 at 4:44 AM

If you don't want to you are going to have to say so,it's an awkward position to be in,personally I think 1 shower is enough,sheesh, I would send a card or gift when the baby arrives.Good luck!

• bbmkfo03
    October 14, 2012 at 8:55 AM

That's weird, why would they ask YOU to throw the shower if you don't really even know this person? What a strange way to kinda back you into a corner, it makes it hard to say no but you're gonna have to unless you really want to do it. Whoever asked you, you can politely say you're just too busy right now to do it but you'd be happy to go in on a gift. 

• KRIZZ25
    by KRIZZ25
    October 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    BABY SHOWER ARE SUPPOSE TO BE THROW BY THE FRIENDS OF THE MOTHER..I WOULD JUST TELL WHO EVER ASK U TO DO IT U CANT..U DON'T KNEW HER THAT WELL..BUT U WILL GET HER A GIFT.
  • kehgiggles
    October 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I agree with the others. Why would someone ask you to do it, why not do it themselves? imho, a shower is something you voluntarily do for a close friend or family member. You don't get recruited to do it for someone you don't even know.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    I would not do it. The person that ask can throw it.
  • la_bella_vita
    October 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM

No, I wouldn't host.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts