Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
ravenstears
Looking for some chore ideas for my 4 year old, as well as suggestions to make them simple to do.
October 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I have a fantastic little 4 year old (4 and a half now) There isn't a person I'd rather spend time with :) I think its about time I give her a bit of responsibility around the house, as I've caught a few instances of her having a bit of "princess" attitude. I'd like to convey to her that I am her momma, and helper, not her servant. And that she's an important member of the family, my helper in turn, and not royalty lol.

She's currently a fantastic helper with anything I'm do, always offering her assistance with any project I'm working on. Her troubles lie in taking care of her own things (which I know, is normal) We both need to get in the habbit of having a pick up time at least once a day.

I plan on putting her in charge of picking up her dirty laundry (I'll be adding a hamper in her room), putting her wet towels on a hook after bath time (I'll add a low hook to the bathroom door). I'd love to hear other suggestions for chore ideas and ways I can help her make them an easy habbit. I'm also aware that I need to re-do her room in a way that will simplify putting her things away herself.

We keep having a revolving argument with daddy that  goes like so:

"Marli, put your toys away."- Dad

"Ummm...ok...will you help me?"- Marli

"No, you got them out, you put them away."- Dad

She takes them to her room and sets them down

"Thats not putting them all the way away." - Dad

"Well, she doesn't really have a place where everything belongs, you can't blame her. At least they are in her room"- Me

"She can put them back where they originally came from"- Dad

"...Thats where they were"- Marli

haha see the problem ^.^

I'll work on my parts (suggestions also welcome there)

I'm not one to give chores just to give them, I also don't want to give her many, just a little handful. Childhood is waaaaaay to short to spend too much time on  work, the rest of life gets ruined with that :)

I plan on using a chart for her like this: http://www.mynameissnickerdoodle.com/2012/08/do-i-hear-1000.html

Thanks in advanced! :)

Replies

• gma12.1
    by gma12.1
    October 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM

My lo feeds & waters the dog, keeps her toys picked up, keeps her books picked up. Here are some things that she does when told or asked: sets & or clears the table, she loves to help vaccuum (she asked if she could do it all the time), I sort the clothes into piles and she puts them in the basket then pushes it to the laundry room (choo choo'ing) all the way, she likes to dust (i use the swiffer dusters). She calls herself my super helper just like Little Bill from nickjr she thinks she is such a big girl.

• elzmnsf
    by elzmnsf
    October 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    I think you have some good ideas. Making her more responsible for herself . I would caution you, however, that undercutting her dad in front of her is never a good idea. If he is trying to get her to put the stuff away, let him! Don't say, especially in front of her, that dad is wrong... When she starts not listening to him in other areas that will be your fault directly. That's one big change I would make!
  • pipsmommy
    October 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    When she comes in the house she should put her shoes and jacket away and also her backpack if she has one. That was what my mom really focused on. Also we had to make our bed in the morning.
  • grplovesjlp
    October 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Sure I have a 4 year old and he has a chore chart as does his 7 year old brother. I started chore charts back in the summer. My 4 year old does the following: pick up laundry/towles if there are any in the bathroom, empty the laundry baskets, sort the clothes when in the laundry room (towles in one pile, darks in another, lights in another) feed/water the dog, not make bad ( i do that part) but straighten up stuffed animals on bed, check the mail. Oh and my boys have one night a week that they have to help me cook and do dishes.

• crystal-boyd
    October 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    My dd will be four in January and we started chores a few months ago. She has to make her bed clean her room and clean her play room. All chores have to be done by dinner. If not she doesn't get dessert or a quarter. I have to remake her bed and revaccume but shes does a very good job making sure all the toys r in the playroom and in the toy box. Its starting to mak my life easier to cuz now she gets that if she takes out all the toys and makes a big mess of the house it takes a very long time to clean it all up. So shes starting to clean threw out the day. She also takes more responsibility for herself now to by doing her own hair and running her own bath and clearing her plate without being asked.
    It was a bit of a battle to get her to clean by herself but after a few times of my standing there directing her n telling her where everything goes she got the hang of it and puts everything away in its right spot. Just make sure there a reward for doing it and a consequence if its not done. Examle , after dinner i do a check and if there's toys on the floor in either room they go in the garbage.well really i put them in my closet and bring them back out a few days later i dont have the heart to really throw her toys away.
    Good luck!!!
  • bbmkfo03
    October 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Quoting elzmnsf:

I think you have some good ideas. Making her more responsible for herself . I would caution you, however, that undercutting her dad in front of her is never a good idea. If he is trying to get her to put the stuff away, let him! Don't say, especially in front of her, that dad is wrong... When she starts not listening to him in other areas that will be your fault directly. That's one big change I would make!

I agree with this. I've had to work on doing this to my DH!

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 14, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Dusting tables she can reach. Room cleaning and picking up toys.
  • mmccrea
    by mmccrea
    October 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Could she help you dry the dishes or empty the dishwasher.  That helps with sorting and organization.  

• nikabear
    October 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    Pick up toys, clean under bed, make her bed, empty the small trash cans in the house, put her folded laundry away
  • trebelcleff
    October 14, 2012 at 11:44 AM

At four my oldest's chore chart consisted of picking up his dirty laundry and putting it in the hamper, making his bed (which was just pulling up the blankets... didn't have to be perfect!), picking up his room and the playroom, and feeding the cats and fish (with assistance).  I didn't ask him to do any of it, but we had a chart with the pictures of things he needed to do along with boxes for stickers next to them.  Any time he did a chore, he got to put a sticker on the chart.  When he filled the chart, he got a prize.  It usually took about a month for him to finish a chart (mostly because he didn't do all his chores every day lol), and each time he finished a chart I tweaked it a bit adding chores in areas he needed to work on or taking chores off that had become dialy routine.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts