Featured Posts
M_Williams
Anger in 1 year old
October 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Let me start off by sayin my child is very calm and collected he's never been hard always a sweetheart. Hes 13 months old. Well I have anxiety and BD has anger depression anxiety everything. We do not talk so I can't get his advice on this.. He recently likes to bang his head. I noticed he would just sit by a wall and back his head into it and continue and I didn't think much of it I thought it was hilarious. Well now if he's mad he will HIT AND SLAM his head on stuff. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and he ran to the sliding glass door and slammed his head into it over and over again. I'm very worried because of his fathers anger issues. What I am asking is I know it's a phase HOPEFULLY but did y'all's kids do this and how did you stop it?

Replies

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    October 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM

You ignore the tantrums and "anger" The best way at home is to put a gate in his bedroom doorway when he starts having a "meltdown pick him up and place him in his rooml  he can throw a fit scream, etc.  Keep an eye out to make sure he is safe, but don't try to "talk him down" don't give the tantrum itself any attention.  Once he is finished let him out of his room and don't lecture him.  Eventually this phase will pass and it passes faster if you don't make the tantrums a major issue.  They are there to get your attention and to gain the child what they want.  Once they know they can't control things they give up.  

• bbmkfo03
    October 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Totally normal behavior. A lot of kids bang their heads and don't have a family history of anger or anything else. It's a phase, he'll get over it and move on to something else like biting and hitting. Ignore him but don't let him out of your sight to make sure he doesn't hurt himself.  Welcome to toddlerhood!

• buttersworth
    October 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM

One of my sons does this and it drives me absolutely crazy. You don't want him to hurt himself but you also don't want to give the behavior too much attention. My son's gotten better because instead of allowing myself to stress about it (I thnk they sense your anxiety about it)...I would remain calm and pick him up, put him n the playpen. the playpen is pretty safe. Eventually he'll do it less and less. My son does it rarely now.

• mmccrea
    by mmccrea
    October 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Agree with ignoring the behavior.  I asked my ped. about this, and he said as long as the child wasn't hurting them over and over each time, then it was normal.  Otherwise, consider a helmet.  Just a phase, probably because they can't communicate their wants and emotions efficiently yet.  

• Mommy2justone
    October 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM
    Ignore it. He will stop if it hurts enough. My nephew did that every time my sister left the room.
  • Mommy2justone
    October 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    He stopped after a few months of her ignoring it.
  • Lindalou907
    October 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I have heard of this! I can imagine you are worried with all the problems his dad has,but  he will outgrow this.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN