Featured Posts
emmy526
Need Surgery-Can't Afford time Off - update
by emmy526
October 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM

What can i do? i am the sole breadwinner for the family, dh is disabled, and i need surgery on my feet, before i can't walk.  I cannot afford to take the time off, as we are in a financial lurch already, waiting for dh's SSD to be approved.  We are barely scraping by, and to take time off, could put in out on the street...i don't know what to do... no, there are no services i qualify for to help out...i already looked.  Meanwhile, my feet get worse every month and it becomes more of a struggle to just be able to walk.  

Update:  after thinking about it, and rationalizing when i would actually have surgery, it won't be til 3-4mos down the line anyway, so,  i decided that i should get enough income tax return to enable me to stay home to recuperate without having to worry about things.

Replies

• 7blessings
    October 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Perhaps you could qualify for short-term disability?

• elephantmamaof2
    October 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    What about disability insurance? Ours provides coverage for off the job as well. We get $1800/mth for $32/mth. Do you have time to buy that?
  • elephantmamaof2
    October 13, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Btw, can I ask what's wrong with your feet? I have 2 bones twisted the wrong way and I haven't been to a podiatrist in like 12 years and it's gotten to the point where I almost can't walk sometimes, but I'm terrified of surgery, I'm a sahm, but it would be rough for us too.
  • Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas
    October 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM

If you wait till January you won't have the sick days to use.  Maybe you could take the last week of december-get that week covered by your sick leave-and then get your income tax done in Jan for the refund by the end of the month.  You can do your income tax off of your last paystub.  IF you only worked one job.

• zannahdeux
    October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    What about Aflac for short term disability ?
  • lazyd
    by lazyd
    October 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Yea, but you probably still need to schedule the surgery now, dont you?  I had a coworker you needed foot surgery and she had to schedule months in advance just cuz so many other people need surgery. 

• motherlove220
    October 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Good for you, hope everything works our for you.;-)
  • TCain0001
    October 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Some suggestion that may help:

Did you try contacting the Salvation Army?  They may be able to help in sort of way.  Or some local food banks?

Also, did you try applying for food stamps, cash assistance, and Medicaid?  This is all income-based, and if you're the only one working and barely covering expenses, they may be able to help you.

Our local Catholic church also helps out in an emergency with things like the electric, gas, etc.

• Mbpeaceful12
    October 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM

In March of this year, my husband had to have a hernia surgery. For almost twenty years, he has been lifting heavy bags at the airport. Before then, he was in the fields picking watermelons, grapes, and so forth. All of his life he has worked with his hands and back which led to his needing the surgery. Well, when his doctor told him that his hernia would not get any better, his doctor and the surgeon filed disability papers for him. My husband had the surgery the first Friday of March and disability payments came a few days later. Here in California, it is said that if your doctor who recommends the surgery files the paperwork, the process goes a bit faster. My husband did not return back to work until May. He received disability payments every two weeks. It was not a lot, but we were not evicted and hungry. I am sorry for your situation and I really hope that something will come through for you.

• aidenmomplus4
    October 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

It was great to hear about your update, I really hope you get a lot back so that you are able to simply recover without having to stress about whether you will be able to provide for your family, I also hope that  you DH SSD comes thru soon. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts