Featured Posts
emmy526
Need Surgery-Can't Afford time Off - update
by emmy526
October 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM

What can i do? i am the sole breadwinner for the family, dh is disabled, and i need surgery on my feet, before i can't walk.  I cannot afford to take the time off, as we are in a financial lurch already, waiting for dh's SSD to be approved.  We are barely scraping by, and to take time off, could put in out on the street...i don't know what to do... no, there are no services i qualify for to help out...i already looked.  Meanwhile, my feet get worse every month and it becomes more of a struggle to just be able to walk.  

Update:  after thinking about it, and rationalizing when i would actually have surgery, it won't be til 3-4mos down the line anyway, so,  i decided that i should get enough income tax return to enable me to stay home to recuperate without having to worry about things.

Replies

• pce68
    by pce68
    October 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM

FMLA is not paid leave. It is good for up to 12 weeks but it is unpaid.

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

Fmla pays up to six weeks.

• Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas
    October 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Quoting emmy526:

see, that's what i thought too, unpaid leave...

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

No it does NOT. FMLA is unpaid leave. A few states offer paid leave. Or she can purchase STD thru a company like Aflac.  EVERYONE should have STD or LTD (ideally both) the time to buy it (like all insurance) is BEFORE you need it.

SOME states offer paid leave-what state are you in?

• pce68
    by pce68
    October 13, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Do they have short term disability at your job?

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    October 13, 2012 at 9:11 AM

ct...google here i come

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

No it does NOT. FMLA is unpaid leave. A few states offer paid leave. Or she can purchase STD thru a company like Aflac.  EVERYONE should have STD or LTD (ideally both) the time to buy it (like all insurance) is BEFORE you need it.

• pce68
    by pce68

Could you get a loan somewhere to help you out?

• MrsRobinson06
    Amy
    I have taken six weeks paid then it allows six weeks unpaid for a total of 12 weeks off. Maybe that's just my state.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

• MrsRobinson06
    Amy
    October 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    I'm in California and we get six weeks paid and another six weeks unpaid if we want.
  • emmy526
    by emmy526
    October 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM

my job is NOT covered by the new law they enacted earlier this year... i am a service worker, and those do not get paid sick leave

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

• Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas

Quoting emmy526:

ct...google here i come

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

Ct offers up to 40 hours of paid sick leave.   It's a complicated law and your profession might not be covered. But if you can get by with a week off it is covered at FULL pay.

• emmy526
    by emmy526

not possible... i have NO credit, and even then, how would i pay it back?  we don't know when dh's SSD is going to get approved. 

Quoting pce68:

Could you get a loan somewhere to help you out?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts