Advice for Moms

jeenw1019
Ear infection question
October 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM

My 3 year has had a cold for a couple weeks, which she has been to the doctor for.  Now she says once in a while her ears hurt and she cant hear.  She has no fever and they seem to be oozing.  Can you have a ear infection without a fever?  I know you ladies are not doctors but maybe you have dealt with something like this.  I'm debating if she needs to go to the doctor.   

Replies

• RAJ88
    by RAJ88
    October 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM

take her to the doc... my daughter who is four jus had a really bad ear infection she had no signs until the day she started complaining (minor fever that morning) took her in and she had two double blown ear infections. one hear was so bad the doc was concerned she might get mengitius from it...

• jeenw1019
    October 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Thanks everyone.  Took her in and she does have an ear infection.  This is her first ear infection at 3 1/2 years old.  Thats pretty good :)

• Yellowlily333
    October 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

It is possible. To me is sounds like she has alot of fluid in her hears..not necessarily an ear infection. I would suggest having her seen by a doctor.

• proudsahm04
    October 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

DS used to get a ton of ear infections, like back to back, and then they couldn't give him a stronger dose of antibiotics for his age and size. We finally put tubes in after one of the ear infections started to drain behind his ear. Sorry if TMI, anyway the oozing is actually good because it means the tubes are draining on their own, antibiotics would still be a good idea of course though.

• jlfilyaw86
    October 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

my kids have had no symptoms of an earache and actually had one before so its possible

• jakesmom323
    October 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Yes. She needs an antibiotic. Hope she feels better;)
  • reux
    by reux
    October 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM

That sounds like an ear infection. Better get her checked out.  

• shamroc374
    October 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    My son has had ear infections frequently. Some had symptoms such as a fever and some never had any symptoms. Several were diagnosed at routine well check visits. His ear infections caused him to get scar tissue and have hearing loss. He had tubes put in and has not had an ear infection in two years. He has also had improvements in his hearing since then. I recommend that you get your child seen anytime they pull, or tug at their ear or complain of ear pain.
  • PB0824
    by PB0824
    October 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I would take your child to the doctor right away.  Fevers can also happen at night when they are sleeping and you would not notice it.  I get ear & sinus infections with fevers, but the fevers are on and off and more at nights.  Oozing is not a good sign at all.  You don't want them to lose their hearing if you don't treat an ear infection, which I think can happen.   Good luck and I hope your child feels better real soon.

• RetiredUSAFWife
    October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

The best advice is, When in doubt at least call the doctor. (Especially if you know your child already had an ear infection). Sometimes they don't clear up right away with antibiotics. (Or they don't get enough medicine) My son, who is thirty three years old now. Had ear infections quite regularly. He finally out grew them though.

Advice for Moms