Advice for Moms

saysmom
Gave 13 month old whole milk instead of breastmilk......... and this is what happened?
by saysmom
October 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM

She slept better!!!! I still breastfeed her a couple times a day and she eats table food. She has been waking at night for quite some time now. I chalked it up to teething and allergies. And nothing seemed to help with that! I gave her whole milk to drink the past two nights before I nursed her and slept better. So could it be that my milk just isnt filling her up anymore? I dont want to quit breastfeeding quite yet. So is it ok to do both?

Replies

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    October 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Quoting piwife:

Cow milk is harder to digest.. vs breastmilk.

That's because cows milk is made for calves not for human babies...

• terpmama
    October 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    Breast milk is more easily digested
  • frndlyfn
    October 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Yes you can do both as well as give her more table food in toddler portions (of course)  DD was an extended nurser past age of 2.

• spotsmom
    October 12, 2012 at 1:04 AM

That's what I do. I'm still breast-feeding my 21 month old, but he gets whole milk in his cup during meals or for snack. 

• Lindalou907
    October 12, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Sure,it's fine! Maybe whole milk has more calories or something.

• jellybeans5
    October 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM

I think it's fine to do both.

I breasfed too, but around the same age I started giving my kids a bedtime snack.It started with my eldest, then as the youngers came along and saw her with her bedtime snack and wanted it, I just gave them a snack too. I tried to keep it healthy. ( I never gave cows milk though, but my kids are allergic)

With a snack in their belly before bed they always seemed to sleep better.

So I guess the milk would work too since it takes longer to digest then breastmilk so it stays in the tummy longer. (just like our snack did)

Advice for Moms