Advice for Moms

MayasIma
Eating in front of the TV
October 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Hi all!

Do you let your kid eat in front of the TV? Iet my girl have breakfast in front of the TV in the morning while I get ready. It feels like bad education to me - no attention to food taste and amount, eating more just to get more TV time... you name it. But else, I do need these 20 min to get ready in the morning...what should I do? 

Replies

• elzmnsf
    by elzmnsf
    October 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    We very very rarely eat in front of the tv... A few weekends a year we have big time movie marathons and then we eat dinner in front of the tv. If you need the 20 minutes, why not wake up 20 minutes before she does and be ready when she wakes. Then you two could sit at the table, have a bite maybe a cup of coffee, and chat?
  • Jamie1972
    October 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    The kids only eat in front of the tv on movie night. I had them eating in the kitchen since they were little.
  • norahsmommy
    October 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    On Friday or saturday we watch a movie while we eat. The rest of the week all meals are at the table together with the tv off.
  • Beautifulmom513
    October 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

we eat in front of the tv for every meal every day. but we are in a tiny 2 bdrm apt with no dining room. or space for table. so we kind of have to. but its never been a problem or issue.

• mamaeagle216
    October 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Our children never eat in front of the television. Our dining table is no where near a tv for that purpose. I want them to focus on what they're eating as opposed to what's playing.
  • JasonsMom2007
    October 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    My kids only eat in front of the Tv on family movie night. Why cant she eat at the table while you get ready? She can always watch Tv when she is done eating.
  • CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    October 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Nope never allowed anyone in the home to eat in front of the television, not even adults.  Eating was done at the table.  You should turn off the television and have your daughter eat at the table and learn to take less time getting ready in the morning.  When I was a working mom it never took me 20 minutes to get ready...

• frndlyfn
    October 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM

We do for many meals.  We talk about how much she wants and how she has such amount of time to eat it.  She also will lay in bed to have her bedtime snack.

• squeekers
    October 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

for the last 12 years we have not a dining room. all we do is sit on our couch, well technically DH and I are on the couch and DD is in her room on her bed

• tennisgal
    October 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM

no, we eat all three meals at the table.

have her sit at the table and eat and then she can turn on the tv. 

Advice for Moms