Featured Posts
savingtheworld
do people still believe in marriage?
October 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Do u still believe in marriage? If so how do u keep your marriage going or how do you make it work? How long have you been married?

Replies

• chefmartha
    October 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Yes I still believe in marriage. Communication and laughter, as well as facing problems together, are key to having a happy marriage in my opinion. I think it also helps that we both came from families with long happy marriages. My parents had been married for almost 49 years when my dad passed and DH's parents just celebrated 50 happy years this past summer. DH and I have been married for 25 years this coming April.

• TeaHound
    October 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Yes, I believe in marriage. We are and always have been VERY honest with each other. What's most important to each of us is the same. We're humble enough to learn from and be helped by each other and bold enough to tell each other the truth even when we know it's not what's easy to hear.
    Mostly: GOD is why our marriage works.
    13 yrs.
  • Malee1976
    October 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I do believe in marriage and it will be 12yrs on Sun.(10/14).  I believe marriage is different for different people.  My hubby and I work well doing our own thing and we come together at the end of the day.  My sister and her hubby has to do everything together all the time!  I think we both have a great happy marriage!!!  I will have to agree that the key things are do talk to each other daily and make time for each other daily.  Something else and I tell my girls this all the time....it doesn't cost YOU anything to say "thank you for_____" and always tell people how you feel about them!!!!

• BrennaLyons
    October 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I've been with my husband for 26 years, and we're coming up on our 25th anniversary in less than a year.

Yes, I believe in marriage but only if you are committed enough to work at it...both of you. It's not easy, and people who just cuise into it and cruise back out annoy me. Sorry, but they do. I don't mean couples where one person is willing to work and the other isn't. That's a tragedy, and I feel so sorry for the one who was trying to make it work. I mean people who marry and divorce without even trying to put in the work involved. If you didn't intend to put in the work, why bother to get married?

To make it work, you have to communicate effectively. If you can't do that, get counseling to learn to do it. A marriage cannot be healthy if you waste a lot of time and energy snipping at each other and saying hurtful things and cutting each other down, especially in front of the kids or other people.

You also have to make time to be a couple. Get a babysitter, even if all you have money to do is go for a walk in the park or pick up fast food. You need alone time, wthout the demands of children...at least once every few weeks.

Also, make time every single day to be intimate. I don't necessarily mean sex, though we still have plenty of that. I mean...make time to hold hands, kiss, cuddle on the sofa or in bed. Some guys say "ewww," but since this is part of communicating effectively...get the counselor to help. Nothing makes us feel better than just laying together or with my husband's head in my lap.

• savingtheworld
    October 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    All these stories are just absolutely inspirational....
  • Christy644
    October 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Believe in it? It's not in the leprauchaun family!!!!!!!

How do I make it work-divorce is daaaaamn expensive!!!!!!

been together 2 yeats. wedding planned for next summer. (not my first rodeo)

• ceciliam
    October 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I do! We will be together 20 years on the 23 and married for 10. I think the big thing for us, is we have always excepted each other for who we are.

• erinsmom1964
    October 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Yes I do beleive strongly in marriage. I think the first and most important thing is having a REAL commitment. Not just if your happy or only if you get all you want but real commitment. When divorce is off the table...is never an option it changes the dynamic. You then figure it out and work together because the only option would be to live together miserably.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN