Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
reava
nicu babies
by reava
October 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM
My son was born at 8:21 this morning via c-section. He was doing well until about 11am. His oxygen level dropped and he started turning purple. They put him on oxygen and stabilized him. Anyway they took him to a children's hospital in a nearby city and he is in the nicu. He is doing well for now and is sleeping. He went from being on 100% oxygen to being on 30%. My Dr said I could possibly be released tomorrow. My question is if you have had a baby in nicu how did you cope? What should I expect when I go there? And do you have any tips on how to handle it?
thanks in advance and sorry for any typos and grammar errors. Im mobile. And it's been a very long day.

Replies

• reava
    by reava
    October 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Here is my baby Brayden.
  • jillbailey26
    October 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM

My daughter was born at 30 weeks and was in the NICU for 9 weeks.  I coped because the reality was that she HAD to be there.  It was crucial to her survival.  

I can't tell you what to expect because your situation is different from mine.  If he's on 30% oxygen, most likely he's got a nasal cannula.  It's just something for his nose.  He'll may have an IV, but he might not.  If he was full term, most likely he won't have a feeding tube either.  

I want to tell you not to expect anything.  Just take the information, the sights and the sounds as they come to you.  Remember that it's all necessary.  Also remember that going from 100% oxygen to 30% is fantastic.  He's doing well, so hold onto that.

• elzmnsf
    by elzmnsf
    October 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    Firstly, congratulations on that beautiful baby! He is perfect!

Secondly, the pp has it right. Listen , take in the info, and trust your team. I will pray that he can be home quick, an that it all works out great! I have never been through that, but as a mom I can imagine that you must be terrified, and I will also pray for you to have peace and comfort. Be strong mom, that little guy needs you to!
  • reava
    by reava
    October 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM
    Yes he has a nasal cannula and an IV. I feel so blessed that he is doing better. I know that this is necessary and that he has wonderful doctors and nurses working with him. Plus I have an amazing medical team helping me heal so I can go be with him. My df and our families are a wonderful support system as well.
    Thank you for your kind words. They are helping a lot.

Quoting jillbailey26:

My daughter was born at 30 weeks and was in the NICU for 9 weeks.  I coped because the reality was that she HAD to be there.  It was crucial to her survival.  

I can't tell you what to expect because your situation is different from mine.  If he's on 30% oxygen, most likely he's got a nasal cannula.  It's just something for his nose.  He'll may have an IV, but he might not.  If he was full term, most likely he won't have a feeding tube either.  

I want to tell you not to expect anything.  Just take the information, the sights and the sounds as they come to you.  Remember that it's all necessary.  Also remember that going from 100% oxygen to 30% is fantastic.  He's doing well, so hold onto that.

• reava
    by reava
    October 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM
    Thank you for your kind words and you prayers. We have an amazing medical team both aty hospital and at his. I also have a great support system through my df and our families. We are very blessed.

Quoting elzmnsf:

Secondly, the pp has it right. Listen , take in the info, and trust your team. I will pray that he can be home quick, an that it all works out great! I have never been through that, but as a mom I can imagine that you must be terrified, and I will also pray for you to have peace and comfort. Be strong mom, that little guy needs you to!

• elzmnsf
    by elzmnsf
    October 9, 2012 at 2:17 AM
    He is just too adorable... Please keep us updated on how he is doing! I just love his little scrunchy face!

Quoting reava:

Thank you for your kind words and you prayers. We have an amazing medical team both aty hospital and at his. I also have a great support system through my df and our families. We are very blessed.

Quoting elzmnsf:

• tconnors331
    October 9, 2012 at 2:24 AM
    Congratulations. My youngest was born at 39 weeks by c section and within a few hours was sent to the nicu for the same reasons. He ended up spending three weeks there which I was not prepared for. I also was not prepared for going home without my baby. Good luck. Hope he is home with you soon.
  • Momof3smoochies
    October 9, 2012 at 2:28 AM
    Congrats momma he's beautiful. My middle child was born at 30 weeks. He was in the nicu I think for 9 weeks. I am not going to lie. It was very hard for me. trust me when I say it's a rollercoaster. But if I can give you a word of advice it is that he's were he needs to be.
  • CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    October 9, 2012 at 3:28 AM

My daughter was an emergency C section and was transfered to another hospital because the base hospital didn't have a NICU.  I spent three long days in the base hospital while she was in another city in another hospital.  When I was released I went straight to where my daughter was.  I was there for six hours just holding her, talking to her, rocking her, feeding and yes diapering her.  This is probably what you will do.  Everytime you go in you will be expected to care for your baby, it is part of the natural bonding process.  

• cjsix
    by cjsix
    October 9, 2012 at 3:39 AM

He's Adorable!  Praying for healing so he comes home soon.

Quoting reava:

Here is my baby Brayden.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts