Featured Posts
kayc0316
Easy healthy meals??
October 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I have come to find out i have High blood pressure..i have been 3 weeks caffine soda free..i do drink sprite and rootbeer..but not very offten usually its tea and water..I am trying to find some easy recipies that are healthier then what i usually make..anyone have some good recipies?? can be chicken or beef thats what i use the most..thanks

Replies

• SouthTxPrincess
    October 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    Just FYI tea has caffeine but Idk about meals hope u find what ur looking for!
  • frndlyfn
    October 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

What type of tea are you drinking?  Some teas have much higher caffeine than soda.  Whole grains/multi grains are an easy switch from white processed carbs like pasta and bread.   I am gathering you want lower sodium recipes that taste delicious naturally.

• frndlyfn
    October 8, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Grilled Rosemary Chicken

Makes: 6 servings

Views Nutrition Facts

Ingredients

• medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 3/4 pounds total)
    • teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
    • 1/2 cup lime juice
    • tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
    • tablespoon olive oil
    • teaspoons sugar
    • cloves garlic, minced
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Place chicken breast halves between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, lightly pound to an even 1/2-inch thickness. Place in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.

For marinade, in a small bowl, stir together lime peel, lime juice, rosemary, oil, sugar, garlic, and salt. Pour over chicken. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Season chicken with pepper. For a charcoal grill, place chicken on the grill rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender and no longer pink (170 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)

Grilled Rosemary Chicken

• frndlyfn
    October 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Grilled Lemon Chicken

Makes: 4 servings
    Prep: 20 mins 
    Marinate: 1 hr 
    Grill: 12 mins to 15 mins 

Views Nutrition Facts

Ingredients

• skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/4 pounds total)
    • 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    • tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel (zest)
    • 1/4 cup lemon juice
    • tablespoon finely snipped fresh lemon thyme or thyme
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • lemons, halved
    • Fresh lemon thyme or thyme sprigs, optional

Directions

Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag in a shallow bowl. For marinade, in a small bowl stir together chicken broth, lemon peel, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon thyme, and pepper. Pour over chicken. Seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain chicken, reserving marinade.

Grill chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until no longer pink (170 degrees F), turning and brushing with marinade halfway through grilling. Discard any remaining marinade. Add lemon halves to grill for the last 3 minutes of grilling.

Serve chicken with grilled lemons and, if desired, top with additional fresh thyme.

• frndlyfn
    October 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Cranberry-Sauced Meatballs

Yield: 60 meatballs
    Prep: 30 mins 
    Bake: 15 mins 
    Cook: 2 hrs to 3 hrs 350°F (low) or 1-1.5 hours (high)

Views Nutrition Facts

Ingredients

• egg
    • 1/2 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
    • 1/2 cup dried cranberries, snipped, or golden raisins, snipped
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    • teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
    • pounds uncooked ground chicken or turkey
    • Nonstick cooking spray
    • 16 ounce can jellied cranberry sauce
    • cup bottled barbecue sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For meatballs, in a very large bowl, beat egg with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, dried cranberries or raisins, onion, salt, and cloves or allspice. Add ground chicken or turkey; mix well. Shape into 60 meatballs.

Lightly coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place meatballs in pan.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until done (165 degrees F).*

Meanwhile, in a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, stir together cranberry sauce and barbecue sauce. Add cooked meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours or on high-heat setting for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Meatballs may be kept warm on low-heat setting for up to 1 hour more.) Serve with toothpicks.

• Note: *Note:  The internal color of a meatball is not a reliable doneness indicator. A poultry meatball cooked to 165 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meatball, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of meatball.
    • Make Ahead Tip: Make-Ahead Directions:  Prepare meatballs as directed through step 2. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed in steps 3 and 4, using the maximum timings to bake and to heat in slow cooker.
  • frndlyfn
    October 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Spaghetti Squash with Chili

Makes: 4 servings
    Prep: 20 mins 
    Bake: 45 mins to 50 mins 
    Cook: 10 mins 350°F 

Views Nutrition Facts

Ingredients

• 2 pound spaghetti squash
    • ounces lean ground beef
    • 1/2 cup chopped onion
    • clove garlic, minced
    • 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
    • 11 ounce can no-salt-added corn, drianed
    • 8 ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
    • tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
    • teaspoons chili powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    • Fresh oregano leaves (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Halve the spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. Using a fork, shred and separate the spaghetti squash into strands.

Meanwhile, for sauce:: In a medium saucepan, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.

Stir in undrained tomatoes and green chiles, corn, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, and dried oregano. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until desired consistency.

Serve meat sauce with spaghetti squash. If desired, sprinkle with fresh oregano.

• Tip: Microwave Directions for Squash:  Place one squash half, cut side down, in a microwave-safe baking dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender; remove and keep warm. Repeat with second half. Continue as directed.
  • kayc0316
    October 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I drink herbal tea.I do have lipton ice tea some times..Its just a big thing that i stoped drinking sodas.next will be doing just water and whatever else is better to drink then soda.And yes i know tea has caffeine but did u notice i said SODA free..I went through the major headache with draws and everything when i stoped drinking soda..Thank you  for the recipies 

• frndlyfn
    October 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Quoting kayc0316:

I drink herbal tea.I do have lipton ice tea some times..Its just a big thing that i stoped drinking sodas.next will be doing just water and whatever else is better to drink then soda.And yes i know tea has caffeine but did u notice i said SODA free..I went through the major headache with draws and everything when i stoped drinking soda..Thank you  for the recipies 

I have gotten off soda my self a few times and i really think the withdrawls were more from the corn syrup sweetener than caffeine.   You can also drink dark chocolate cocoa for a healthier beverage.  Low fat or skim milk etc.

I am still hooked on soda but i also like putting a slice of lemon in a glass of water for a fresh beverage.

• happy2bmom25
    October 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Do you exercise?
  • kayc0316
    October 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

With it getting cooler im gonna start walking more..Its been so hot i dont even wanna go outside..but Im actually going on a 45 min walk right now

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN