Advice for Moms

marchantmom06
Reiki
October 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Does anyone here do it? Have you ever had it done on you?? What was your experience?

Replies

• storkradio193
    October 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I recommend giving it a try.  It is relaxing and can be helpful. I am familiar with many forms of alternative/complentmentary medicine.  Reiki is even done in some hospitals and there are some early scientific studies although not much yet.

As far as it being "supernatural" and such.  I do not know what the future will hold in terms of scientific advancement.  But, I wonder if energy and healing will one day be understood by science.  The forefront of physics allows for many things that we would not have imagined a generation ago. Plus, bacteria, DNA, and so much more was considered science fiction or "supernatural" or simply not understood or believed in a century ago.  (In some ways it amazes me how much we, as a society, come to understand our reality and believe that we truly know or understand the world.  I imagine that the scientific advances, whatever they may be, will be just as great in the next 100 years as the past 100 years.  People in the last 21st century, our grandchildren, will think of us our lives like we think of people in the early 20th century.)

• momma4AJ
    October 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM

my mom is a reiki master...

• Bleacheddecay
    October 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

No idea why you are being so upset and dismissive. I didn't say no one should do whatever they want to do just that I had no interest and why.

In my book and many others, god, angels and so forth, are absolutely considered supernatural as are the devil and so on.  Just because someone believes in such beings and in religion it doesn't make it real or factual that's why it's called a belief or faith rather than science or facts. Perhaps you should actually think and check on facts dispassionately before posting and/or attempting to slam someone post.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Praying To God is a "spiritual" practice and has never been proven to work, but it's not supernatural. Good try at reaching though.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Yes. I know a woman who calls her Reiki person for help over the phone. This person also told her that spirits were hanging around her and performed something over the phone to make them go away. So she said anyway.

Also see this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki

Which says "

Reiki (霊気?, /ˈrk/) is a spiritual practice[1] developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui, which has since been adapted by various teachers of varying traditions. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing or hands on healing as a form of complementary therapy and is sometimes classified as oriental medicine by some professional medical bodies.[2] Through the use of this technique, practitioners believe that they are transferring universal energy (i.e., reiki) in the form of qi (Japanese: ki) through the palms, which allows for self-healing and a state of equilibrium.[3]

There are two main branches of Reiki, commonly referred to as Traditional Japanese Reiki and Western Reiki.
    Though differences can be wide and varied between both branches and
    traditions, the primary difference is that Westernised forms use
    systematised hand-placements rather than relying on an intuitive sense
    of hand-positions (see below), which is commonly used by Japanese Reiki branches. Both branches commonly have a three-tiered hierarchy of degrees,
    usually referred to as the First, Second, and Master/Teacher level, all
    of which are associated with different skills and techniques.

The concept of ki underlying Reiki is speculative and there is no scientific evidence that it exists; a 2008 systematic review of randomised clinical trials
    concluded that "the evidence is insufficient to suggest that reiki is
    an effective treatment for any condition. Therefore the value of reiki
    remains unproven."[4] The American Cancer Society[5] and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine[6]
    have also found that there is no clinical or scientific evidence
    supporting claims that Reiki is effective in the treatment of any
    illness." among other things.

And this one:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/reiki.html

And many more links that describe the practices as unproven, having to do with "energy healing" and as being a traditional "spiritual" practice.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Wait supernatural?? Huh?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I don't believe in the supernatural so I'd never do this. I find the whole idea ridiculous and a bit creepy.

• marchantmom06
    October 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    *I* am not the one in need of educating myself.

Reiki is no more supernatural than the christan God.

Looking up a word on wiki makes your opinion invalid. Wiki isn't an actual dictonary. It's other people posting other peoples words on a website.
    So no one is getting defensive but you with your lack of common knowledge of what is supernatural and what isn't. Do some real research then some spew some more.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

No idea why you are being so upset and dismissive. I didn't say no one should do whatever they want to do just that I had no interest and why.

In my book and many others, god, angels and so forth, are absolutely considered supernatural as are the devil and so on.  Just because someone believes in such beings and in religion it doesn't make it real or factual that's why it's called a belief or faith rather than science or facts. Perhaps you should actually think and check on facts dispassionately before posting and/or attempting to slam someone post.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Praying To God is a "spiritual" practice and has never been proven to work, but it's not supernatural. Good try at reaching though.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Yes. I know a woman who calls her Reiki person for help over the phone. This person also told her that spirits were hanging around her and performed something over the phone to make them go away. So she said anyway.

Also see this link:

Which says "

Reiki (霊気?, /ˈrk/) is a spiritual practice[1] developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui, which has since been adapted by various teachers of varying traditions. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing or hands on healing as a form of complementary therapy and is sometimes classified as oriental medicine by some professional medical bodies.[2] Through the use of this technique, practitioners believe that they are transferring universal energy (i.e., reiki) in the form of qi (Japanese: ki) through the palms, which allows for self-healing and a state of equilibrium.[3]

There are two main branches of Reiki, commonly referred to as Traditional Japanese Reiki and Western Reiki.

of hand-positions (see below), which is commonly used by Japanese Reiki branches. Both branches commonly have a three-tiered hierarchy of degrees,

The concept of ki underlying Reiki is speculative and there is no scientific evidence that it exists; a 2008 systematic review of randomised clinical trials

remains unproven."[4] The American Cancer Society[5] and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine[6]

And this one:

And many more links that describe the practices as unproven, having to do with "energy healing" and as being a traditional "spiritual" practice.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Wait supernatural?? Huh?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I don't believe in the supernatural so I'd never do this. I find the whole idea ridiculous and a bit creepy.

• Bleacheddecay
    October 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Wow. Sorry. I didn't know that if you believed in it than it couldn't be supernatural. You sure are teaching me things. Thanks so much. Your intelligences, reasoning and discernment are so awesome.

As for the rest of the women in this group. If you also think this way. This just may not be the group I want to invest my time or advice for.

Quoting marchantmom06:

*I* am not the one in need of educating myself.

Reiki is no more supernatural than the christan God.

Looking up a word on wiki makes your opinion invalid. Wiki isn't an actual dictonary. It's other people posting other peoples words on a website.
    So no one is getting defensive but you with your lack of common knowledge of what is supernatural and what isn't. Do some real research then some spew some more.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Also see this link:

Which says "

And this one:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Wait supernatural?? Huh?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

• strawberryLVR
    December 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

how is it "supernatural" ? when someone you know loves you, and they give you loving touch even on the shoulders it's a form of "energy" Love is positive, hate negative. not that complex and I certainly don't see it as "supernatural" that has to do with spirits etc..

• Bleacheddecay
    December 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I've already answered that in this thread.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

how is it "supernatural" ? when someone you know loves you, and they give you loving touch even on the shoulders it's a form of "energy" Love is positive, hate negative. not that complex and I certainly don't see it as "supernatural" that has to do with spirits etc..

• YogaPiscesMama
    February 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    I am a Reiki Master. Reiki is a hands on stress reduction method and promotes healing through the practitioner. Basically, I am a vessel of universal energy to the receiver. There is also a way to do distance healing. marchantmom06 if you are interested in a free distance healing please message me with a photo and your first name. Love and light to you all!
  • Miss-tearious
    February 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I completely agree with this. I also don't think brain integration is a real thing, at least in the sense that I know of it. My SK's aunt (BM's sister) "heals" people. One time at dinner SD11 wouldn't eat mushrooms because "Aunt Annie told me they are bad for my aura," or some bogus line like that. (I know mushrooms are gross to kids, but it was in a stir fry mix and it was a teeny tiny one)

A few weeks ago their aunt apparently cured SS10 of his allergy to sunflower seeds and red dye. He NEVER had an allergy to them in the first place!

I just don't believe in stuff like this. It is hokey to me.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts