Advice for Moms

coralbeth
cloth diapering tips for a newbie plz
October 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I want to give cloth diapers a whirl. DS needs new diapers in 2-3 days and ive got $35 to spend. i dont want to spend $20 on a pack of diapers that'll last 2-3 weeks. its too costly right now to keep wasting money w/ the holidays and dd's bday coming up.

any advice on where to buy, what to buy, folding, making your own?

Replies

• AubreeGrace17
    October 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    What kind of diapers is she using now?
  • coralbeth
    October 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    Quoting AubreeGrace17:

Huggies or costco
  • AubreeGrace17
    October 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    Have you tried Luvs? They're actually cheaper than the Kirkland brand diapers and are just as good.

Quoting coralbeth:

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

Huggies or costco
  • coralbeth
    October 7, 2012 at 8:27 PM

1. what does that have to do with cloth diapers?

2. store brands are cheaper than luvs

3. i won't use that company's products anyways, they are fragranced which i cannot stand the scent they use.

• livingdeadmom
    October 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    well, I spend $60 on 12 sunbaby diapers. they are awesome! sunbabies.com
    :)
  • LindaClement
    October 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I'd suggest buying flat flannel --you get so many more of them, and they're so much cheaper to wash and dry. Plus, kids never grow out of them.

The only thing you need to replace are the waterproof covers, because those they do outgrow.

I had 8 dozen, and washed diapers weekly.

• orksnorf
    October 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    I love sun baby, kawaii's. www.theluvyourbaby.com They are both inexpensive cloth diaper brands. I've also heard good things about alva's.
    They are all pocket style cloth diapers.
  • kirbymom
    October 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

You can shop for cloth diapers at Walgreens, Targets, and I'm not too sure if Kmart or Walmart sells them or not and when you do buy them, you should buy double the amount of cloth diapers as babies do pee a lot. :) 

• marisab
    by marisab
    October 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

BUMP!

• bebcarroll
    October 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Look at a couple of cloth diaper web sites, to get an idea of what you like, what you think you can handle.  Don't buy the prefolded ones from Gerber at the grocery store or target.  Those are gonna be so much work, they have a coating on them(all cotton does) that needs to be stripped and thse just never get as soft or as nice as the other prefold cloth diapers.  And Prefolds and and covers are going to be one of the cheapest ways to get started.  Get a dozen prefold and 2-3 covers and you are set for a couple of days.  Of course, then you just wash them and you are set again.  Also look at the sunbaby ones, the are cheap and have the cover and absorbant part together.  (Like $5 or $7 apeice I think).  I like thirsties covers and prefolds from clothdiaper.com and I used greenmountaindiapers  for basic info and cottonbabies to look at all the fancy stuff that is out there.

Advice for Moms