Advice for Moms

AleaKat
Home ear infection remedies
by AleaKat
October 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM
My 5 year old is complaining of an ear ache and is coughing And has a runny nose. If course it's Sunday and dr office is closed. Iv tried olive oil and hydrogen peroxide (separately)plus Motrin. Anything else I can do for him?

Replies

• lucky2Beeme
    October 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

heat a potato in the microwave for 5 mins. wrap it in a hand towel .have him sit up(this is real important) and apply the potato to ear(leave in it the towel).The heat will help drain the fluid and make the pain go away.

• crwspringer
    October 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    Is there a children's Sudafed? I've been going through something similar and the doc gave me antibiotics and told me Sudafed can help relieve the pain.
    You should check and see if the Walgreens or cvs clinics are open, they could give him something.
  • pookster54
    October 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

My go-to when my boys have earaches is an ear candle. Now, I know that people don't always have ear candles laying around, but you can make your own. I roll a newspaper up tightly, with one end smaller so it can fit in the ear. Then, you light it on fire and let it burn for a bit. I know it may sound like a joke, but I promise it's not! It creates a good, dry suction to help pull the bad stuff out of there. Obviously you only burn it about halfway down so it doesn't burn their head, but my kids always feel better afterwards. That combined with some Motrin or Tylenol does the trick. I don't even treat ear infections with antibiotics because this method keeps them comfortable for the duration until the infection goes away on its own. Good luck!

• xoxRachelxox
    October 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Was there garlic with the olive oil? My husband used garlic and olive oil mix and that seemed to help sooth them. The peroxide didn't help at all.

They ended up need antibiotics anyway but the garlic and olive oil soothed their pain. Also motrin and tylenol alternated.

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    October 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

If she has an ear infection the olive oil only made it worse and all peroxide is going to do is remove wax, not prevent the infection that is already there.  It would have been better if you left it alone, but now you can try a heating pad to help with the pain if the pain gets worse maybe a trip to the ER for an antibiotic. 

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    October 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    Why would the oil make it worse. Iv seen at least 5 reputable medical websites that suggest it. No ER just needed something to help until tomorrow .

Quoting CoeyG:

If she has an ear infection the olive oil only made it worse and all peroxide is going to do is remove wax, not prevent the infection that is already there.  It would have been better if you left it alone, but now you can try a heating pad to help with the pain if the pain gets worse maybe a trip to the ER for an antibiotic. 

• xoxRachelxox
    October 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM

My kids used the garlic and olive oil and it made them feel better. I don't think it will clear up an infection but it does sooth it until you can get to a doctor.

• robyann
    by robyann
    October 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM

This is an old wives tale----- I am NOT recommending this, just wanted to share some of the silly things people thought would work. They would blow cigarette smoke into the ear! I guess maybe just the warm air helped the pain, IDK.... I think a heating pad on LOW would help some.

• Quinn525
    October 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    Coconut oil and heating pad.
  • Mother_ofTwo
    October 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    This! My dad and other family members would do this all the time and it would help a lot with the pain

Quoting pookster54:

My go-to when my boys have earaches is an ear candle. Now, I know that people don't always have ear candles laying around, but you can make your own. I roll a newspaper up tightly, with one end smaller so it can fit in the ear. Then, you light it on fire and let it burn for a bit. I know it may sound like a joke, but I promise it's not! It creates a good, dry suction to help pull the bad stuff out of there. Obviously you only burn it about halfway down so it doesn't burn their head, but my kids always feel better afterwards. That combined with some Motrin or Tylenol does the trick. I don't even treat ear infections with antibiotics because this method keeps them comfortable for the duration until the infection goes away on its own. Good luck!

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts