Advice for Moms

AleaKat
Home ear infection remedies
by AleaKat
October 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM
My 5 year old is complaining of an ear ache and is coughing And has a runny nose. If course it's Sunday and dr office is closed. Iv tried olive oil and hydrogen peroxide (separately)plus Motrin. Anything else I can do for him?

Replies

• LyTe684
    by LyTe684
    October 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    My cousin had one ear infection as a kid. Her grandma used a warm onion. She said she never had another eat infection after that.

Ear Infection Remedy A warm onion half held over the ear for 10 minutes per side, allowing the juices and/or fumes to get down into the ear is an effective and historic remedy for ear infection.
  • marchantmom06
    October 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    That's probably where the fluid In his ear is from. I'm sorry he doesn't feel well! I know it stinks to have a sick little. Good luck at the dr today.

Quoting AleaKat:

Not alot no mostly just runny nose

Quoting marchantmom06:

:-)!

Z-pacs are strong BUT they work really quickly.

Omnicef is also good for bacterial infections.

We cant do cillin drugs in our family. I'm allergic and so are all 6 kids.

Any time the pain gets to bad for the future then have him sit up, laying down can make it worse, and apply a warm wash cloth (that you've heated in the microwave) either behind his ear on the neck or on his sinuses.

Has he had hay fever or allergies or things like that a lot lately?

Quoting AleaKat:

You don't sound rude at all your being very helpful thank you.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Ask for something else, amox doesn't always kill the bacteria leaving the infection to move to different parts of the body making it seem as if he's always sick when he probably just never got over the actual illness.

Also try to boost his immune system, loads of vitamins especially C, lots of sun light exposure in small doses, lots of water, maybe some probiotic yogurts. Ear infections are nothing to play with, I'm not trying to be rude, I've suffered with them for almost 50 years, I've had several surgeries to correct ruptures and tubes 5 times. I only have partial hearing in my left ear from an ear infection when I was 28. Three of my children also suffer from chronic ear infections. :-(. I'd really try to get the dr to write the benzocaine drops. They are a miracle when it comes to pain with ear infections.

Quoting AleaKat:

Only did it once. My mom used to use peroxide on me all the time when I was little. He has been sick alot since he started kindergarten and I'm just at my wits end with pouring amoxicillin down his throat

Quoting marchantmom06:

Actually this may be the one time I ever agreed with Coey, stop putting ANYTHING in the ear. I mean Anything and if the pain gets worse then yes an ER visit is in order. And just because you just noticed that he's in pain means he's probably had the infection for days causing bad fluid retention and with adding stuff to his ears you can potentially rupture his ear drums causing lifetime damage and severe pain for The rest of his life.
    Do not put pee, oil, peroxide, smoke, water, ear candles or anything else into the ear. When you see the dr today, as for a prescription of benzocaine drops so that in the future if he gets one then you can have these on hand.

Quoting AleaKat:

ER is saved for an emergency in our house. A suspected ear infection can wait one day till his dr office opens.
    Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting AleaKat:

Why would the oil make it worse. Iv seen at least 5 reputable medical websites that suggest it. No ER just needed something to help until tomorrow .

Quoting CoeyG:

If she has an ear infection the olive oil only made it worse and all peroxide is going to do is remove wax, not prevent the infection that is already there.  It would have been better if you left it alone, but now you can try a heating pad to help with the pain if the pain gets worse maybe a trip to the ER for an antibiotic. 

Having grown up on ear infecitons anything in the ear that doesn't belong in the ear is trouble.  Olive oil doesn't belong in the ear.  Peroxide again is only a cleaning agent it won't hurt but olive oil?  Mineral oill maybe but I certainly wouldn't use oilive oil...except in cooking.  There are a lot of things people put into their ears but that doesn't mean they are good for the ears.  As a mom concerned about my child's hearing health, if I suspected my kid had an ear infection and I couldn't get to the doctor, I'd be at the ER.  

• savingtheworld
    October 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    Works great! U ever heared of putting urine in the ear? Sounds gross but I swear u will never have another ear ache!
  • srbeusk
    by srbeusk
    October 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Garlic oil. Works every time for me andy kiddos
  • LuvMyBoy08
    October 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    Melaleuca is a wonderful essential oil for ear aches or infections. Just rub a drop on the outside of the ear.

As far as coughs and colds are concerned, I use lemon essential oil diluted in coconut oil and rub it on my 4 year olds chest and neck. It works great!
  • pookster54
    October 12, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Quoting crwspringer:

If you have fluid behind the eardrum wouldnt that break the eardrum?

Quoting pookster54:

My go-to when my boys have earaches is an ear candle. Now, I know that people don't always have ear candles laying around, but you can make your own. I roll a newspaper up tightly, with one end smaller so it can fit in the ear. Then, you light it on fire and let it burn for a bit. I know it may sound like a joke, but I promise it's not! It creates a good, dry suction to help pull the bad stuff out of there. Obviously you only burn it about halfway down so it doesn't burn their head, but my kids always feel better afterwards. That combined with some Motrin or Tylenol does the trick. I don't even treat ear infections with antibiotics because this method keeps them comfortable for the duration until the infection goes away on its own. Good luck!

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts