Advice for Moms

FluffMcGruff
Introducing Myself to the Group :)
October 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Hi, I am a first-time Mom to an adorable 3 year old girl. I am clueless, lost, and sleep-deprived. She's never slept through the night on a consistent basis, after a honeymoon period lasting from 7mos to 15mos. Some nights, she doesn't go to sleep and is awake well into the next night. The longest she's ever stayed awake is 36 hours. She gave up naps at 19 months old, even though she desperately needs one. We've tried the Supernanny method, the put her in her room and let her cry it out method, and melatonin at her pediatrician's direction. She was almost hospitalized for a bowel obstruction and spent 18 hours in the ER overnight and the next morning in the pediatrician's office-where she was singing and running around in circles. Sick, exhausted, relaxed-it doesn't matter. She won't sleep. I have no idea what to do. Tonight, she's wide awake with no signs of sleeping anytime soon-and it is one in the morning. She'll be up and at 'em at 6:30 am later this morning, even if she goes to bed at 5am. Any one have any advice? I'm so very tired, and this can't be healthy for her. During the day, she's an emotional wreck, hyper, and barely focused on a task. Even more so than just 'three year old' behavior. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• PINKmyfavcolor
    October 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Does she nap during the day at all?

• amonkeymom
    October 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Welcome to the group!  It might be time to consult a different doctor, maybe a sleep expert or a behavioral expert.

(((hug)))  I hope you get some rest tonight.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    October 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Welcome!

Let her play quietly instead of sleeping, if this is what she prefers. She may eventually fall asleep.  Also make sure she gets no chocolate or soda at all. 

• robyann
    by robyann
    October 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM

this may have something to do with her diet, if your pedi doesn't think this is a problem either your not explaining it well enough or it's time to look for a different pedi.  this is not normal, all kids need sleep, they grow when they are sleeping and the body repairs itself when your sleeping.

• robyann
    by robyann
    October 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Oh and WELCOME to the group! sorry :-)

• yperez0209
    October 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Welcome to the group.

I'm not sure why you're little one is not sleeping at night. But I can tell you it's not normal behavior. Something is definitely wrong. For your sanity and her well being you must get to the bottom of it.

First you need to see another Pediatrician. I would demand that she have a sleep study done. I can't imagine that you would be feeding her so much sugar or caffine that would warrent her to be up for 36 hours. That's beyond my understanding. I could however understand if we were talking about an infant.  ( the not sleeping for so many hours part )

What you described sounds sooooo frustrating, I would be going bananas. So sorry, hope you find answers soon.

• love-my-tween
    October 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Fluff, I am so very sorry for what you are going through.  I perceive it as a nightmare!  I'm not in the medical field, but please, do NOT give your child melatonin.  Dr. Oz (or maybe The Doctors) just had an episode in the last month on how it was giving ADULTS nightmares and is causing havoc.  If you would like, I will look up the episode for you.  I, myself, used to take Melatonin and had no side effects.

I can't imagine a child going 36 hours without sleep.  Do you have support?  You need your sleep in order to help your child.  Wow.  I feel so very bad for you.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.  Sleep deprivation is a seriuos matter.  Hugs to you! 

• FluffMcGruff
    October 8, 2012 at 1:08 AM

She naps once or twice every several months, but not on a daily, weekly, or even a monthly basis. Her pedi just kind of shrugs and says "Well, she IS awfully hyper..." and then smiles and says there is nothing they can do, they can't medicate her into sleeping. Which is definitely not what I want. While I want her to sleep, I don't want her to be drugged to sleep. I sincerely think there is something wrong, and I want to fix it-not just throw meds at her. (Which isn't happening, any way). She also refuses to sleep alone, when she sleeps, and is in my bed. At this point, I am so exhausted that sleeping with me is better than not sleeping at all. Thanks for welcoming me to the group! And she is caffeine and sugar free 98% of the time (High Holidays and Birthdays). She drinks water and milk, and a small serving of natural apple juice every now and then.

Advice for Moms