Featured Posts
xxshelbyxxx
runny stuffy nose, warm body 13 mos
October 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Hi everyone. My son is 13 months and he's never even had the slightest fever before, no cold, allergies, sinuses, nothing. Never. I've also read up on anything and everything cold related since I was preg so that I'd be prepared. But now for some reason I'm stumbling over what I read and what to do. I haven't checked his temp yet because he seems like he's almost back to sleep and I do NOT want to wake him, but if he doesn't fall back asleep ill be taking it . His nose is very stuffy and runny and he keeps waking himself up because his nose is so stuffy and loud and draining down his throat. He hasn't napped all day which is completely unusual for him, he didn't nap yesterday either. He always naps. I'm worried cuz I've never been through this before.

Tried using the boogie sucker but he hates it and won't keep still, even when i got it in there a couple times, there's still so much left that it'd take an hour of sucking to get all the wet boogies out and he'd never sit through that. We have a dehumidifier too so should I use that? Hot steamy shower?

Replies

• GrammaJane46
    October 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

They make a "motorized" nose cleaner -- about 20 bucks at most drug stores -- that works great for us.  My granddaughter will actually bring it to us.  I can't believe the amount of goop it pulls out, and she falls asleep right after.  You use saline spray first to help break stuff up.

A word of caution -- even though she asks for the "sucker" to be used, she still gets uncomfortable and fights us when using it.  Sometimes we need three of us to keep her still enough to clean her nose efficiently.  We give her a treat of some sort when we are finished.  She can't hate it too much, because she is the one who goes and gets the thing when she can't breathe well.  She's 3 now, but has allergies and they/we use it at least once a month and have since she was younger than your son.

• crystal-boyd
    October 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Try to push fluids like pedialight . And try giving him some TY or IBP even if hes not running a fever itll help with body aches and sinus pain. If u dont think he'll take it put it in his sippy . Baths usually help to and it help make them sleepy. And snuggles from mommy always help. Poor little guy. I hope he feels better soon good luck mama
  • -PB
    by -PB
    October 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I got a pediacare vapor night light and it works great!  I think it was like 8 or 9 dollars at walmart.  It makes the room smell like vicks and helps them sleep better.  You could also try babyvicks or baby vapor bath.  Those are great too.

• DarlaHood
    October 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You can all try putting a pillow under his mattress so that it is propped up and he's not laying flat.  Laying flat makes congestion harder to deal with.  And you can ask your pharmacist for recommendations for a decongestant.  I know the medicine options have changed since my kids were little.  I used to give them dimetapp.  And if it were my kid, I still would. 

• snowangel1979
    October 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    He could be getting his molars. My children always had cold like symptoms when they got theirs.
    A warm bath with a strong cup of chamomile tea dumped in helps my little one. It kinda relaxes them and helps clear their noses.
  • lilbit98
    October 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

yes use the dehumidifier and put a pot of water on the stove on high and put salt in it,when the water gets low add more salt. becareful they is a new sickness going around called hand foot mouth diesea. make sure you wash your hands and anyone that holds they baby before and after. and also disinfect everything.and if the baby chews on any toys wipe them down with a disenfect wipe

• robyann
    by robyann
    October 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

This may be caused from teething. I'd give him some tylenol, to ease his discomfort and help him rest. Like another mom said, prop this mattress up a bit, with a pillow under the mattress. Take him in the bathroom and turn the shower on hot, sitting in the bathroom with him will help loosen his stuffy nose.

• White-Rose
    October 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I would suggest trying to the boggie sucker (even he doesn't like it - have someone help you with it.  Also humidiers and hot steamy showers may also help!  I hope he feels soon!

• xoxRachelxox
    October 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM

You want to use a humidifier not a dehumidifer. You want the warm mist, a dehumidifier will do the opposite and take the moisture out of the air.

I would also try to prop his head up a little. You should check his temp the next time he wakes up.

I wouldn't bother with the nose sucker. Those always just pissed my kids off more. Just wipe his nose when it runs.

If he has a temp, I would give Motrin and then alternate with Tylenol. I notice with all three of my kids that I need to rotate between the two because the same one wouldn't work well the second time.

I hope he feels better soon! Poor thing. I hate when kids get sick.

• tjane3000
    October 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Sick babies are no fun :( I'm sorry, i think sometimes it's harder on mom than the kids. If he doesn't like the sucker don't use it. It is usually for smaller infants anyway. The reason he has a hard time breathing is because of the nasal swelling and that can't be sucked away so no need to make him uncomfortable. I would use the humidifier and steam up the bathroom and sit with him in it for a bit. If he sleeps propped up that will help the nose drain and help him breathe. Get some infant Tylenol, it will tell you dosage on the box. It is to be used every 6hrs but my ped told me that if the fever is consistent and he is really uncomfortable 4hrs is ok, especially so they can rest. The Tylenol or Motrin will also help with the nasal swelling. If fever persists for a few days i would make a dr. appt. I hope he feels better. :)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts