Advice for Moms

jesuschild06
Is depression normal during pregnancy?
October 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I know with pregnancy comes a ton of emotions. But I seem to be full blown depressed. I have wanted a child for as long as I can remember. I had a miscarriage at age 18, and then again in July this year. I am pregnant again. Me and my boyfriend werent trying, but we werent preventing it either. I ran out of refills on my birth control and never bothered calling my dr for more. I am 7-9 weeks (me and my boyfriend disagree on when my last period was and i dont write it down) and I have no energy for anything. I am OCD and of course that means a neat freak, and I havent cleaned my house in almost 3 weeks. I have missed 2 whole weeks of classes and missed assignment deadlines. I have no desire to go back. I have no desire to go to work (though I do because my baby needs me to have money). Im estatic to be pregnant, but I am having such a hard time showing it because I feel so depressed. Is this normal? How do I break it?

Replies

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    October 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    Yes totally but just in case bring it up to your OB
    I had suicidal thought when pregnant but I couldn't do that to my unborn child.
    Your big and uncomfortable and your self esteem is shot. No longer feel attractive and you feel like an incubator .
    It's totally normal when they lay that baby on your chest that first time it's all worth it
  • TeaHound
    October 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    Yes, depression-type feelings are normal. Pregnancy messes with your hormones and they mess with all the chemicals they control including the ones that cause you to feel this way or that.
    Make sure you get outside everyday for at least half an hour preferably in the morning.
    Get some kind of safe exercise daily. Walking is best and stretching would be good too.
    MAKE SURE YOU'RE DRINKING ABSOLUTELY A TON OF WATER!!!!! Dehydration can cause high blood pressure type symptoms and not drinking enough water for a long time can cause depression type symptoms.
    WATER!!!!!!!!
  • jesuschild06
    October 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I definately will mention it to my OB. I go in Tuesday. Ugh, water. I cant stand water, and its even worse now that I am pregnant. I have been drinking orange juice and tea about non-stop. So I am pretty sure I am not dehydrated. Its good to know its normal though. My first pregnancy I was depressed before I got pregnant, and my boyfriends ex called him the week after we found out and said she was 8 months pregnant and it could have been his. Then the one in july I was barely 4 weeks. Thanks guys.

• Reina13
    by Reina13
    October 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

This is very good advice.

At your next dr. appointment mention how you are feeling to your doctor as well.

Join us in the Pregnancy group

Quoting TeaHound:

Yes, depression-type feelings are normal. Pregnancy messes with your hormones and they mess with all the chemicals they control including the ones that cause you to feel this way or that.
    Make sure you get outside everyday for at least half an hour preferably in the morning.
    Get some kind of safe exercise daily. Walking is best and stretching would be good too.
    MAKE SURE YOU'RE DRINKING ABSOLUTELY A TON OF WATER!!!!! Dehydration can cause high blood pressure type symptoms and not drinking enough water for a long time can cause depression type symptoms.
    WATER!!!!!!!!

• PINKmyfavcolor
    October 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

This exactly. Talk to your doctor.

Quoting TeaHound:

WATER!!!!!!!!

• ida123
    by ida123
    October 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM
    Yes but not totally.

Advice for Moms