Featured Posts
fullofhope1
Out of control
October 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Maybe this is just a stage but for a YEAR? My four year old girl is very rude, talks back, throws fits (screaming and breaking down) throughout the day, and doesn't really listen. Anyone else have this problem. What can I do to make her a positive little girl.

also when I get a response does it go to my email? Can someone pm that? I'll check back later. Thanks!

Replies

• Gina_C
    by Gina_C
    October 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    Have you talked with her ped about it? I am by no means a medical expert but maybe there is something else going on that is causing the behavior, like ADHD. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • sweetmissy_05
    October 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

My 3 year old is like that.  She has Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, major anxiety......she was just put on  medication for it because she was getting out of control...was dealing with it since she was 18 months old.

• itsblissmas
    October 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I hope things get better for you soon.

When you get replies you should get a notification that you have responses.

• TeaHound
    October 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    BUMP
  • Aubie1229
    October 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    Biggest thing is to be consistent with your discipline and never give in. If you tell her no and she does it again, commence with the punishment and don't back down. People used to say the terrible two's but I believe it's the terrible three's . Don't be afraid to plop her in her room and close the door until she stops screaming. Do this each time
  • CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    October 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Quoting Aubie1229:

Biggest thing is to be consistent with your discipline and never give in. If you tell her no and she does it again, commence with the punishment and don't back down. People used to say the terrible two's but I believe it's the terrible three's . Don't be afraid to plop her in her room and close the door until she stops screaming. Do this each time

The "Terrible Twos" is actually a blanket term for a stage between the ages of 15 months to 4 years, and even some children will go trhough it at the age of 5.  Ignore the tantrums, they are geared to get attention so that the child can get what he/she wants to end the tantrum.  At home put the chilod in his/her bedroom in public remove the child from the arrea go out to the car until the meltdown subsides.  Or take the child home and if there is another adult leave the child with them and return to what it was you were doing before the meltdown.  Make sure you let the child know that because of the way they behaved they can accompany you 

• PINKmyfavcolor
    October 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Like this poster said exactly. They're testing their boundaries and trying to figure out the world around them and you have to enforce rules and consequences consistently to help get a handle on things and help them to learn.

Quoting CoeyG:

The "Terrible Twos" is actually a blanket term for a stage between the ages of 15 months to 4 years, and even some children will go trhough it at the age of 5.  Ignore the tantrums, they are geared to get attention so that the child can get what he/she wants to end the tantrum.  At home put the chilod in his/her bedroom in public remove the child from the arrea go out to the car until the meltdown subsides.  Or take the child home and if there is another adult leave the child with them and return to what it was you were doing before the meltdown.  Make sure you let the child know that because of the way they behaved they can accompany you 

• fullofhope1
    October 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Thanks everyone .... the ADHD posts are a little scary. Would never want to put her on medication so I hope thats not it. Makes me nervous. I'm gonna stick with being stern on what I say.

• gardengirl23
    October 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Take a Love and Logic class.  

• love-my-tween
    October 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Is your daughter maybe bored?  Try taking her to the park.  If you live in an area where there are hiking trails, this is the perfect time to hike.  Take a picnic lunch and view all of the changing colors of the leaves.  Go for a bike ride!  Try different channels of excercise and fresh air.  It's amazing what the outdoors can do.  I'm taking my own advice starting tomorrow :-)  Best of luck to you. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts