Advice for Moms

yarocuhcap
PLEASE HELP. Son's middle school parents are loaded, but me..not so much
October 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

I really your help with this  one.  My son got into a very expensive private middle school with a very generous grant from the school.  I'm grateful but I am unemployed and all the moms there are either lawyers and doctors, or enterprenuers or wives of such people.  I want to fit in, but feel awkward every time I meet them and am always thinking about the fact that they all seem like a sorority that are best friends.  That's one issue.  The other issue is that it occured to me that these people could be potential leads to jobs available at their firms, business etc.

Question is.  Would it be appropriate for me to approach them about job leads being that I am a new mom at the school and I don't yet know them well enough. and b) if it were appropriate, how to go about it.  I definitely don't want to do something that will alianate me further from fitting in.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!

Amy (mom of Daniel 11, Ollie 3, Molly 3)

Replies

• yarocuhcap
    October 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM

MuchiesMom324,

You are so funny!!! No I won't say I got fired for being a slacker.  Actually, I left my last job, because my now 11 year old was going through some major social/developmental problems at school at 6 years ago. Fast forward 5 years, he is an amazingly intelligent, well behaved, well adjusted 11 year old.  I call it MOMMYPOWER intervention.  There was no nanny, or family member who could have taken my place.  With the help of the school and my 100% participation he has become an *STAR* student.  But how do you say that to an employer.  Employer: why haven't you worked in the past 5 years?  ME: ahhhhhhhhhhhwelllll... it's a long story.

• frndlyfn
    October 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Depending on the job, some look at SAHM as the ultimate job since you need organization to keep all the appointments for child's care, cook, clean, etc.  You can always cite medical issues and then when they ask elaborate.

PS  it is not his middle school parents....... it is parents from his middle school.   The first one sounds like he has 2 sets of parents..... You and then another set at school.

Quoting yarocuhcap:

MuchiesMom324,

You are so funny!!! No I won't say I got fired for being a slacker.  Actually, I left my last job, because my now 11 year old was going through some major social/developmental problems at school at 6 years ago. Fast forward 5 years, he is an amazingly intelligent, well behaved, well adjusted 11 year old.  I call it MOMMYPOWER intervention.  There was no nanny, or family member who could have taken my place.  With the help of the school and my 100% participation he has become an *STAR* student.  But how do you say that to an employer.  Employer: why haven't you worked in the past 5 years?  ME: ahhhhhhhhhhhwelllll... it's a long story.

• qqhotplay
    October 9, 2012 at 5:21 AM

FIRST dont be intimidated your childs place there was earned not bought. thats amazing!!! so happy for your child.

secondly, yes work it into the conversation that you are looking. its called networking

• Lindalou907
    October 9, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    Just be friendly,see if you can set up some play dates,go from there. This could be a really great opportunity for you,friends with money are still friends!

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts