Featured Posts
Cate1129
I can't even pee with the door closed!!!
October 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM

So I spend all day every day with my 15 month old. I am a sahm so he does not go to daycare. He is having some serious seperation anxiety! I can't leave a room for a second without him getting upset! Is he just spoiled to being with me? Should I just let him cry? Any advice for a mom who is quite frustrated???

Replies

• signingmama2915
    October 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM

If you want to pee with the door closed let him cry and pee with the door closed. Thats what I do. He doesn't cry anymore, now he asks if i am pooping. lol (mine is now 18 mo)

• Firenygirl180
    October 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

my 15 months old used to do that.  IT took a little bit but he has learned that mommy will come back.  He would cry when I dropped him off with sitters or left him with his dad to run an errand.  I just tried to find something to distract him and then would sort of sneak out and pee and then I'd surprise him when I came back.  Sometimes the sneaking out backfired but most of the time it worked.  I would just make sure to make up for the whole minute I was gone by holding DS and tickling him and playing with him for a few minutes before I'd do anything else.

• Sammi20
    by Sammi20
    October 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM

My daughter was like that. She grew out of it she is 2 now. It just happens when you are a SAHM I hear ya though I just leave the door open anyway in case she needs me lol I got used to it.

• ele2837
    by ele2837
    October 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    Its normal behavior for that age. When my daughter was 15 months we put a potty in the bathroom for her and every time I went she could go in and sit with me. It is during they grow out of. It can last a couple months or a couple of years.
  • Foster_Mom
    October 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM

It is normal.........He will soon learn that just because he can't SEE you doesn't mean you aren't there.  And just because you are not in the same room him, doesn't mean he isn't safe.  As a mom who has "been there and done that"  (My oldest daughter is 21 and my youngest is 4) I will tell you that there will come a day when you wish he wanted to be with you.  :) Take heart, Momma.  In no time at all he will prefer the company of his friends and girlfriend and you will miss being the center of his universe.  They grow  way too fast. 

In the meantime, you can play games with him to help him.  Stand behind a corner in a room where you can pop your head out and he sees you........then back up and he doesn't.  Make it like an advanced version of Peek-A-Boo.  Also, take an hour for yourself.  Make it known that 8pm to 9pm or whatever time works best is YOUR time.  No interruptions, no distractions.  Take a bath, take a walk, leaf through a magazine, talk to a friend..........knowing that you have that time coming in 4 hours, in three hours , in two hours..........it gets you through the tough spots.  When all you see ahead of your is endless "mommy duty" with no breaks.........wow, it can make you overwhelmed and frustrated.  Knowing that one our of time is creeping closer puts things into perspective and keeps that "light at the end of the tunnel" close enough to do you good. 

Enjoy your young man, as I stated already.  So much faster than you think, he will be grown.  :)

Blessings,

Dee

• wonderouslife84
    October 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM

my 5 year old son is like that, he was left by his dad who litterally walked out on him. my son feels like im going to abandon him too and i hate that but before the divorce my son was horrible when we would close a door on him, when he is in the bathroom he freaks out if the door is closed. hang in their hun hopefully it will pass soon

• aarensmommy
    October 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM

normal when ds2 was that age i couldnt leave the room with out him crying and following lol it was so annoying he is 2.5yo now and is fine he still has anxiety if i leave the house with out him though

• MommyCulp4
    October 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    He needs to self cope. As far peeing with the door closed. You have at least 10 more years of that.
  • piwife
    by piwife
    October 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Didn't you know that when u become a mom that is one of the things that happens...... I have 3 kids ages 5,3 and 5 mts.. unless I lock my door. I have an audience lol
  • jellybeans5
    October 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM

It's normal and believe it or not you want them to do this.

My eldest didn't do this, at this age or ever. Whenever I went outside or went anywhere she would take off. It got so bad I had to stop taking her anywhere, even a 5 minute trip to the grocery store. She has Asperger's.

My younger 3 girls did what yours did. At first I worried I either spoiled them or something was wrong, but I didn't stop it. Then I noticed whenever I went somewhere they wouldn't leave my sight, they would stay with me wherever I went. I could finally go shopping and relax when they were with me. This didn't mean I could stop watching them, but I could trust that they would walk with me in public without me worrying they would take off. 

Just continue to let him follow you. Besides, it won't be long before he's a teen and won't anyway. :-)  

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN