Advice for Moms

Cate1129
I can't even pee with the door closed!!!
October 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM

So I spend all day every day with my 15 month old. I am a sahm so he does not go to daycare. He is having some serious seperation anxiety! I can't leave a room for a second without him getting upset! Is he just spoiled to being with me? Should I just let him cry? Any advice for a mom who is quite frustrated???

Replies

• justsusan
    October 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

When my son went through this, I played a game with him.  I used chocolate chips.  With him in his high chair, in a good mood and laughing, I put my face behind a magazine and said "mommy goes away..." then I moved it and said joyfully, "and Mommy comes BACK!"  When he laughed I gave him a chip.  After a few times, I stepped out of the room and immediately back saying the same things.  Then I stayed outside the room longer and longer, giving him chips if he did not cry.  

He just needed to be assured that I was not gone forever when he couldnt see me.  I progressed to playing the game with him and his daddy while I went out the front door for minutes, then fifteen minutes, then an hour.  It really really helped his anxiety.  Then I could go into the bathroom by simply calling, "remember, Jamie, Mommy goes away but..." and he would giggle and shout "mommy comes back!!!!!"

• tab1023
    by tab1023
    October 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    My daughter used to scream when I would try an take a shower even though she could hear me she couldn't see me well she finally figured she would just climb in fully clothed ...
  • terall
    by terall
    October 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

do you ever leave him with any one else? your mom or MIL? if not you should that will help. just make sure you always kiss him good bye andd say I'll be back later, have fun and then leave. NEVER SNEAK OUT when hes not looking that will make it worse

• MommyofBK
    October 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM

i know the feeling. my daughter is like that now. shes 10 months old. i try to wait until she turns her back or gets really into a toy then run to the bathroom....the door is usually open. lol. about 85% of the time she notices im gone and starts crying and looking for me.

• Bri060492
    October 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

It is normal... My four year old will sit outside the door as I go to the bathroom and try to talk to me.

• tenspeed
    October 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    My son did the same thing. Hes two now and the door is still open. Tonight he dug out my tampons and said "mommy, do you need this?" Guess hes seen too much!
  • Missy13d69
    October 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Giving birth to a child, creates the inability to urinate unattended. True story.

• Tnoblin5
    October 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    My doodlebug is 27 months old and God forbid I walk out of the room! I go pee and she goes screaming until she finds me :) So much for privacy :)
  • ChicMommy06
    October 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    You need to cut him off. I do not believe in that coddling crap and it is only going to get worse. He needs to gain a sense of independence now. I would suggest daycare. I know a lot in my area will do things like Mon, Weds, and Fri from 9-12. Also forcing the issue of needing your own space in the home. Babying is never a good idea, and this is a prime example of why children need more exposure then just their parents.
  • talkberry
    October 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    You are treating him how to be by doing things like peeing with the door open. You have to teach him that he is ok and that you are not disappearing or going away forever. Let him cry until you finish what you are doing and then give hugs. My daughter had severe separation anxiety and I had to teach her that her fears were unfounded.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts