Featured Posts
crystal-boyd
opinions about smoking while pregnant , breast feeding, and smoking around children.
October 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Want to get everyones opinions on smoking while prego, while breastfeeding, and while your holding your babies...

Ill be honest i smoked probley four cigs after i found out
i was prego with both pregnancies. I didnt smoke.while
bfing and never smoked holdin either of my children.
But my SIL smoked heavily (a pack-apack n a half) daily
threw out her last pregnancy. Her son is 8months has
bad reflux, is constantly fighting ear infections and docs
r worried about the growth of his head. She also
smoked while bfing and smokes while holding him. I
know that kids get sick and have those same issues
and it has nothing to do with weather there parents
smoke or not. but all those at once plus he always has
a runny nose and slit cough. ? Shes prego again with
her 3rd child and shes doing the same thing . Well
actually shes up to bout 2packs a day. Im trying.to
explain to her that alot of those issues probley have to
do with her smoking so much. She always argues that
her first child is perfectly healthy. Even tho her first child
is 3 and still has to do breathing treatments 2x a day.
So plz give me ur opinions on the smoking. And tell me
if im wrong to keep trying to get her to stop smoking for
now
PS im going to have her read this post

Replies

• Katt709
    by Katt709
    October 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    I did. I smoked for 15 years. About a pack a day by the time I quit. I found out I was pregnant and didn't smoke again. I realize not everyone can do that and I struggled with quitting before getting pregnant so I know it's hard. But once it was no longer about me, it was easy. I wish it could be that way for everyone. I got lucky in that regard I guess.
    Quitting for our kids is the best thing!

Quoting opinionatedmom:

you cant just break an addiction overnight. its not that easy

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM

My FIL quit cold turkey after smoking 3 packs a day for about 35 years.  He had a heart attack and never smoked again. 

• grplovesjlp
    October 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM

you cant fix stupid people - she isnt worried about her kids, only concerned for herself. There really isnt much you can do..

• Karla1948
    October 7, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Things were certainly different in the 70's, and I would certainly do things differently today. More than once I held my two babies or diapered them with a cigarette parked between my lips. But I'm proud to say that I did not breast feed with either. Quitting smoking during my pregnancies was futile, but I did have control over feeding afterwards, and I figured they had enough nicotine exposure already, so I chose bottle feeding from the start.

• sarahsmommy508
    October 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    Ill admit I smoked during pregnany but not 2 pack day.maybe 2 or 3 per day of course I felt bad.but my dd is healthy as a horse! Only had one cold she's 8 months old but I guess the more you smoke the more damage you can do
  • Gina_C
    by Gina_C
    October 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Exactly! It can be done if you really want to. You just have to do it!

Quoting -PB:

I think all are a horrible idea but I read an article a while back that said if you are going to smoke during pregnancy and around your baby the best thing you can do is breastfeed because of the antibodies in breast milk help to keep allergies/asthma at bay.

And to the people who think that an addiction can't just be kicked overnight....I quit cold turkey April 15, 2008 and never looked back.  Its take a few days to get through the cravings but if you truly want to quit you can do it.

• ShanesMommy2012
    October 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    I smoked like 2 cigarettes during my pregnancy, and smoked a good amount of marijuana. My son is perfectly healthy. Good weight, good height, big head lol.
  • lucaslexie
    October 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    I don't smoke and do not let my children around anyone smoking.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts