Advice for Moms

crystal-boyd
opinions about smoking while pregnant , breast feeding, and smoking around children.
October 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Want to get everyones opinions on smoking while prego, while breastfeeding, and while your holding your babies...

Ill be honest i smoked probley four cigs after i found out
i was prego with both pregnancies. I didnt smoke.while
bfing and never smoked holdin either of my children.
But my SIL smoked heavily (a pack-apack n a half) daily
threw out her last pregnancy. Her son is 8months has
bad reflux, is constantly fighting ear infections and docs
r worried about the growth of his head. She also
smoked while bfing and smokes while holding him. I
know that kids get sick and have those same issues
and it has nothing to do with weather there parents
smoke or not. but all those at once plus he always has
a runny nose and slit cough. ? Shes prego again with
her 3rd child and shes doing the same thing . Well
actually shes up to bout 2packs a day. Im trying.to
explain to her that alot of those issues probley have to
do with her smoking so much. She always argues that
her first child is perfectly healthy. Even tho her first child
is 3 and still has to do breathing treatments 2x a day.
So plz give me ur opinions on the smoking. And tell me
if im wrong to keep trying to get her to stop smoking for
now
PS im going to have her read this post

Replies

• srbeusk
    by srbeusk
    October 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM
    Not a good idea on any of them.
  • nataliesmom2012
    October 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    Bad idea. I'm a smoker but seriously, I can hold off until I can safely put my baby down somewhere. I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant (I know it was stupid of me to start back up), I didn't smoke while breast feeding, and I'll quit again if I ever get pregnant again. I'm doing enough harm to my own body. I don't need to do any harm to my children's too because I have an addiction. It's not their fault so they shouldn't suffer because I made a bad decision.
  • georgeisfun
    October 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Definitely bad. Second hand smoke is bad for an adult, it's horrible for a baby. My foster children's bio parents are both smokers and both children are constantly coughing, despite not being around it for 3 weeks. The doc said it's going to take a few months for them to stop, just because they were exposed to so much smoke.

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    October 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM

If a child has to have breathing treatments then they are not healthy.  I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant for my daughter and never went back to it.  I knew people who smoked but they didn't do so in my home, I can't imagine smoking while feeding my child...that to me is disgusting.  

• proudMom2634
    October 2, 2012 at 2:49 AM

• Gina_C
    by Gina_C
    October 2, 2012 at 3:13 AM
    Holy shit! You know, I hate reading things like this. I hate when people put their own selfish desires ahead of their kid's health. Those poor kids. To me, neglecting your kid's health is exactly that, NEGLECT!
  • AlliJadesmama
    October 2, 2012 at 3:17 AM
    I smoke but never around my child. That is just not okay.
  • opinionatedmom
    October 2, 2012 at 3:20 AM

you cant just break an addiction overnight. its not that easy

• Gina_C
    by Gina_C
    October 2, 2012 at 3:24 AM
    Actually, you can. I smoked for 14 years before I got pregnant. People quit smoking every day. And it's not even that. How hard is it to set your damn kid down before you light up? Or maybe take it outside so no one else has to suffer through it? Especially when it's making your kids sick!! Just disgusting, it really is.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

• opinionatedmom
    October 2, 2012 at 3:27 AM

why are you attacking me? I am not the one doing it. I have had no luck with quitting. I have tried lots of times.

Quoting Gina_C:

Actually, you can. I smoked for 14 years before I got pregnant. People quit smoking every day. And it's not even that. How hard is it to set your damn kid down before you light up? Or maybe take it outside so no one else has to suffer through it? Especially when it's making your kids sick!! Just disgusting, it really is.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Advice for Moms