Featured Posts
Kimberli3
5 yr old- Possible ADD/ADHD
September 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Hello! I am new to this group and I am going to jump right in!

I have a 5 year old (soon to be 6) who just started Kindergarten this year. We have always noticed something a little different about him with his impulses and aggression. He has alwayslashed out and hit, or yelled, more so than the typical little boy. As he got older and we enrolled him into daycare, his teachers would tell me that he has a hard time focusing. Once they can get him on task, he does great and is very proud of himself. However, the aggression and impulsivity is still there and still strong. He gets very wound up when something doesn't go his way and he immediately wants to lash out, hit, cry, take something away. Once he hits or yells, he is almost immediately remorseful and not so wound up and angry. He also plays aggressively and pushes often.

Ok, fast forward to now: we kept him and his siblings home this summer (rather than keep them in daycare) to work on these issues and to prepare him for school. Please know that this does not reflect our parenting, as we are patient, active and light hearted parents. At the same time, we can be tough on the kids when it is necessary. He recently began school and I have gotten "notes" home (in the form of emails) from the teacher daily. He is hitting friends, telling teachers NO and being overall defiant. This is nothing new, although I do not see this side of him, others who have cared for him when I am not around have. He loves to be the "class clown" and has very little respect for authority other than myself. He looses his train of thought often but I am not sure if that it just typical 5 year old behavior. Please keep in mind that he is much better when I am with him and this behavior is not all the time... but it does occur a couple of times per day at schoo (and previously at daycare).

We are not sure if this is behavioral or is this is ADD or ADHD. He tends to show some signs but not all (like hyperactivity). We took him to see our pediatrician who did prescribe him Focalin 5mg/day extended release. I haven't given him this yet... I have had it for two weeks but I can't bring myself to medicate him. I have his teachers updating me daily and also have his school counselor obverving him. I am just wondering if there are any Moms out there that can give me some insight.

There is a history of ADD/ADHD on his Dad's side of the family. There is also a history of addiction to the medication (and abuse of it also) on that side of the family and so I am very hesitate and nervous to put him on any medication if he does not need it. I know I sound like I am all over the place... thats probably because I am and I don't know where to go from here. ANY ADVICE would be wonderful. THANK YOU!!!

Replies

• UpSheRises
    September 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM

You need to have him tested, and i mean a full evaluation not a checklist at the ped's office. Either request at IEP from the school and have them do it or start calling psychologists.

Worrying about what to do or what not to do is useless unless you have a diagnosis.

• Bleacheddecay
    September 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I would say get him evaluated by an expert in this area, not his pediatrician. Get him therapy and meds. My girl wishes we'd started earlier.

• OHgirlinCA
    September 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Kids with ADHD are not automatically aggressive.  My son has severe ADHD and wouldn't hurt a fly.  That said, if your son has a hard time focusing, it could be ADHD, or a number of other things.  Here is a link with some information you may be interested in.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.shtml

Also, I think it would be a very good idea to have a complete evaluation done on him.  You can request one through your school district and they have to do it, by law, in a timely manner.  Or, you can seek out a pediatric behaviorial doctor for an evaluation yourself. 

Did his pediatrician do a full evaluation?  If not, I find it troubling that your doctor would prescribe Focalin to him.  If your son is diagnosed with ADHD (after a full evaluation), I wouldn't worry about the medication.  Those that become addicted to these medications usually do not have ADHD themselves.  These drugs work differently on kids that actually have ADHD versus those that do not. 

• mamaeagle216
    September 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    Great advice!

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Kids with ADHD are not automatically aggressive.  My son has severe ADHD and wouldn't hurt a fly.  That said, if your son has a hard time focusing, it could be ADHD, or a number of other things.  Here is a link with some information you may be interested in.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.shtml

Also, I think it would be a very good idea to have a complete evaluation done on him.  You can request one through your school district and they have to do it, by law, in a timely manner.  Or, you can seek out a pediatric behaviorial doctor for an evaluation yourself. 

Did his pediatrician do a full evaluation?  If not, I find it troubling that your doctor would prescribe Focalin to him.  If your son is diagnosed with ADHD (after a full evaluation), I wouldn't worry about the medication.  Those that become addicted to these medications usually do not have ADHD themselves.  These drugs work differently on kids that actually have ADHD versus those that do not. 

• Reina13
    by Reina13
    September 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

You have gotten really good information, so Im just going to say 'welcome'

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts