Advice for Moms

vinalex0581
They told me to leave because I was breastfeeding.
August 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM

So I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to do school shopping with my 7 year old son and I brought my 1 month old son with me.

I EBF btw.

So we gathered up his school supplies and then went back to the shoe/sneaker department so I could purchase sneakers for my son for school.

We were the only ones in the sneaker aisle, no one else was there.

I had that nursing privacy blanket, that's what it's called.

For those who don't know what it is: it's a fabric type blanket that has a string on it so you wrap the string around your neck and cover yourself up while the baby is nursing so no one can see.

Well an associate was in the aisle because she was helping a customer.

She saw me and told me that I had to leave because that was inappropriate with that I was doing.

I asked her if i could at least check out first and she said yes.

So we checked out and left. =(

I was so embarrassed.

Replies

• Greenstone920
    August 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

What state do you live in?  

• Mommy2justone
    August 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Depending on the state you are in, that is probably illegal. 

• KimandCarrie
    August 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Probably illegal and they'll have it all on video.
  • Mommy2justone
    August 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

If your profile is correct on your location (NY) then that was illegal. I would call the store back and demand to speak to the manager. Also call local news stations, and LLL reps. VERY illegal, and if you don't stand up to them they will do it again to another momma :( 

• Greenstone920
    August 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Just saw on your profile you're in CNY - me too! - but legally, they have NO right whatsoever.  NY has some of the most protective laws when it comes to breastfeeding mothers.  You could have sat there, taken your shirt off and breastfed, and they legally couldn't do anything.  

• EmmaGlenn20
    August 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    This shit just sickens me. Please follow Greenstone's advice, she's 100% right.
  • Mommy2justone
    August 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM

If I am correct, I think there was a big lawsuit with walmart of this same thing in early 2000's. 

• Greenstone920
    August 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM

This is a link to a Word document letter that is put out by the NYCLU, that you should fill in and hand to the store manager, ASAP.  

http://www.nyclu.org/files/breastfeeding_harassment.doc

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    August 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Frankly if it were me, I would have at least gone out to my car...I wouldn't be breastfeeding in the middle of Wal Mart anytime...ewww that's a nasty place to breastfeed a baby.  

• ELFs_Mommy
    August 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    It's illegal for them to tell you that you have to leave. By law, you have the right to nurse wherever you and baby are allowed to be.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts