Advice for Moms

meismith
Carseat to 5 point ..... ????
January 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM

my son recently turned 1 and at his check up is weighs in at 19LBS and is 31 inches long. our carset says its safe for 5-22lbs and up to 29 inches long.

so i guess my question is do we keep him in the seat we have now until he reaches 22lbs or do we move him to a 5 point forward facing because of his length?

driving

Replies

• fatcat0908
    January 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    Put him in a rear facing 5 pt harness. Being too tall for the seat can affect his neck in an accident.
  • erinsmom1964
    January 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Hes not that long their are many convertables that would easily RF him.

• erinsmom1964
    January 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Whats your budget Momma?

• alexsmomaubrys2
    January 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

He needs to be moved to a rear facing, 5 pt harness. I really love the Graco Myrides.

• MissTacoBell
    January 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    When ds turned 1.5 and got too tall for his rf seat we got him the graco nautilus which is harnessed and very tall, but I didn't know very much about rf lol. Try the Safety 1st convertable air which will rf to 40 lbs and 40 inches and ff to 65 lbs or 52 inches.
  • erinsmom1964

Have you taken a moment to read up on rear facing to the max of your seat?  How much safer it is? Seems your LO is like mine long and skinny.  Heck Erin is 41 inches tall and not even 3 until April and she was able to RF until past 2 years of age.

• justme91755
    You have to upgrade eventually so if you can afford it it would seem now is the time. You can get your carseat checked at your local fire department and they can tell you if your current chair is adequate
  • erinsmom1964

Quoting MissTacoBell:

When ds turned 1.5 and got too tall for his rf seat we got him the graco nautilus which is harnessed and very tall, but I didn't know very much about rf lol. Try the Safety 1st convertable air which will rf to 40 lbs and 40 inches and ff to 65 lbs or 52 inches.

YUK AND YUK I wouldn't buy either of those seats!!!!!!

• MissTacoBell
    January 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    In the interest of the OPs looking for advice, you care to qualify that with something other than YUK? They are both excellent seats with great safety records...

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

• erinsmom1964
    January 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM

You are incorrect in saying they are both excellent seats.  I would LOVE to answer questions.  The safety first complete air has serious issues with RF and the angle of the RF.  In some countries now that seat isn't even allowed to be used as RF.  the company themselves admits that you can't really use it the way its intended to its full extent RF.  IF you follow the directions for RF install your child will almost be laying flat in most vehicles.  The harness at higher weights at that angle may fail AND most children as they get older will not sit at that extreme angle.  LOTS of parents in an uproar over that seat.

Graco Nautilus waste of money as for MOST children it will not properly position the seat belt in booster mode. Never does a 3 in 1 do all three things well. for that kind of money you can get a better seat. Not to mention it doesn't RF and her baby is just 1 yr

Sorry I didn't bother to give YOU my reasons as this isn't your post and if OP wanted my opinion I would gladly tell HER.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

In the interest of the OPs looking for advice, you care to qualify that with something other than YUK? They are both excellent seats with great safety records...

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Advice for Moms