Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Raintree
Judge
August 26, 2009 at 9:53 AM

So, another thread in this forum got me thinking about how we judge others. There are so many really fruitful words of wisdom on the subject- in nearly every tradition- that I'm wondering why it seems to escape us so frequently.

For instance-

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment that you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. Matthew 7:1-5

The vile are ever prone to detect the faults of others, though they be as small as mustard seeds, and persistently shut their eyes against their own, though they be as large as Vilva fruit.- Garuda Purana 112

A man holding a basket of eggs does not dance on stones.Buji Proverb

Easily seen are others' faults, hard indeed to see are one's own. Like chaff one winnows others' faults, but one's own one hides, as a crafty fowler conceals himself by camouflage.

He who sees others' faults is ever irritable--his corruptions grow. He is far from the destruction of the corruptions.Dhammapada 252-53

Happy is the person who finds fault with himself instead of finding fault with others.Hadith

Confucius said, "The gentleman calls attention to the good points in others; he does not call attention to their defects. The small man does just the reverse of this."Analects 12:16

So, your thoughts? Why do we all continue to pass judgement on others?

Replies

• Raintree
    August 26, 2009 at 9:57 AM

More-

Censuring others and praising himself, concealing good qualities present in others and proclaiming noble qualities absent in himself, he causes them to have low status. Disparaging himself and praising others, proclaiming qualities which are present in others and not proclaiming those that are absent in himself, with humility and modesty he lifts them to high status. No obstacle should be created in the [spiritual] development of others.Jainism

Do not judge thy comrade until thou hast stood in his place.Mishnah- Judaism

He who treads the Path in earnest
    Sees not the mistakes of the world;
    If we find fault with others
    We ourselves are also in the wrong.
    When other people are in the wrong, we should ignore it,
    For it is wrong for us to find fault.
    By getting rid of this habit of fault-finding
    We cut off a source of defilement.
    When neither hatred nor love disturb our mind
    Serenely we sleep. - Buddhism

• Pepperlynns
    August 26, 2009 at 10:01 AM

hmmm because people use the scriptures as verbal weapons to defame,belittle and/or to condemn someone else..when in fact it should be used as a guide to better their self......

Basic
    Information
    Before
    Leaving
    Earth

• Raintree
    August 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I agree. We seem to miss those parts that would do us the most good.

Quoting Pepperlynns:

hmmm because people use the scriptures as verbal weapons to defame,belittle and/or to condemn someone else..when in fact it should be used as a guide to better their self......

Basic
    Information
    Before
    Leaving
    Earth

• mghtymffn
    August 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

People do it for a variety of reasons, but i think mostly, because they feel their own wrongs are justified either by their religion or the fact that someone believes as them, which gives them more power

• Peanutx3
    August 26, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I think it is human nature to judge.  I can only control my actions and I try everyday not to judge people, do I fail at it sometimes? Yes.  But I continue to try to accept everyone for who they are and not judge.

• ilovemymonkeys4
    August 26, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I think everyone on this forum is guilty of judging. That's one of the main problems I have with alot of people. I won't pretend like I have never jumped the gun on judging a book by it's cover but I will say that I do try my damndest NOT to do so. I think christians more so are the one's who fall into this category because they (whether they intend to or not) do judge others. It's sad that people forgot that we ALL still are human beings with real feelings and real ideas who can't be respected because we happen to agree or disagree based on our moral and political stances.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN