Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
mamaof2angles
U.S. Students behind in math....
August 26, 2009 at 3:45 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/25/students.science.math/index.html

Why am I NOT suprised??? oh maybe because what I was learning in the different grades levels when I was in hs was WAY harder than what they are learning now.JMO

Replies

• Pepperlynns
    August 26, 2009 at 9:20 AM

not surprising one bit...maybe if they made a video game with math facts the kids might learn something..or maybe they need to start counting calories in them greasy hambugers that are gonna be brought home for dinner

My 4th grader was 1 of only 15 in her school of 400 to have a commended performance on her TAKS math test..she is also doing 6th grade math....

• Raintree
    August 26, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I went to private school all the way through, and it wasn't until my senior year in highschool that I had someone actually TEACH math. I'm NOT great at math, but with proper instruction, I would have done a lot better than I did before my senior year, for heaven's sake.

Meanwhile the few friends of mine that went to public schools seem to do fine- one's an accountant, the other a doctor.

• Stefanie1085
    August 26, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

not surprising one bit...maybe if they made a video game with math facts the kids might learn something..or maybe they need to start counting calories in them greasy hambugers that are gonna be brought home for dinner

My 4th grader was 1 of only 15 in her school of 400 to have a commended performance on her TAKS math test..she is also doing 6th grade math....

Very smart 4th Grader! My sister is in sixth grade doing sixth grade math and she's doing well. BTW- I HATE TAKS!!! =)

• Pepperlynns
    August 26, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Very smart 4th Grader! My sister is in sixth grade doing sixth grade math and she's doing well. BTW- I HATE TAKS!!! =)

oh yes..i always told myself when I had kids I was gonna drill information and knowledge into their heads..coming from a family where both parents worked and spending 85% of my time in daycare i never learned anything and was always behind in school....even after they get home from school we still have 2 hrs of learning we sit and do together...i do need to slow down with it though..i can see shes getting a lil bored..but maybe i can get her in advancement classes next semester

• Stefanie1085
    August 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

oh yes..i always told myself when I had kids I was gonna drill information and knowledge into their heads..coming from a family where both parents worked and spending 85% of my time in daycare i never learned anything and was always behind in school....even after they get home from school we still have 2 hrs of learning we sit and do together...i do need to slow down with it though..i can see shes getting a lil bored..but maybe i can get her in advancement classes next semester

Just don't overdo it! You are doing a wonderful job with her; my dad was like that with me but was a little overzealous. I was in gifted classes in school, and he told all my teachers to give me extra homework. And he had me so anxious about getting good grades that if I got a B on a test or something, I would cry because he would be disappointed. But I'm sure you aren't like that with your daughter- you're very nice =)

• mymichelle2002
    August 26, 2009 at 11:37 AM

They need to change what and how this is done. This district had a 94% fail rate in Math. That's not what they called it but it's basically what it came down to, my son is the 6%.

• answin
    by answin
    August 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM

my daughter went to a school last year that decided they were going to throw in this experimental "new math" that turned some of the basic easy math problems into something so complicated they had to have a mass meeting with the parents just to teach us this "new method". There weren't even text books it was so new and they expected our kids to be able to come home and know the stuff, or they expected us to be able to help them.

We moved her to a different school this year that doesn't have this "new method", we're in day 3 of the school year and I can already tell that she will be behind in math. my husband had to sit down with her and teach her the real way to do a simple division problem.. the way WE were taught as children. Not only did she pick it up in a second but it was no longer frustrating for her to do her homework and was able to move on with the rest of her work rather quickly vs the two hours it normally took. Science and Social Studies were never an issue, although i do not feel that they are teaching these kids properly... every single Science and Social Studies test last year was OPEN BOOK... how the hell are these kids supposed to learn it? I was so furious when I told my daughter to study the chapter she had homework on and she explained that she didn't have to.. it was all open book tests. I still made her sit down and read them anyway.

• momandvet
    August 26, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Children are smarter than we give them credit for.  If we just let them learn instead trying to force them to learn, things would be so different.

• mymichelle2002
    August 26, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Exactly.

Quoting answin:

my daughter went to a school last year that decided they were going to throw in this experimental "new math" that turned some of the basic easy math problems into something so complicated they had to have a mass meeting with the parents just to teach us this "new method". There weren't even text books it was so new and they expected our kids to be able to come home and know the stuff, or they expected us to be able to help them.

We moved her to a different school this year that doesn't have this "new method", we're in day 3 of the school year and I can already tell that she will be behind in math. my husband had to sit down with her and teach her the real way to do a simple division problem.. the way WE were taught as children. Not only did she pick it up in a second but it was no longer frustrating for her to do her homework and was able to move on with the rest of her work rather quickly vs the two hours it normally took. Science and Social Studies were never an issue, although i do not feel that they are teaching these kids properly... every single Science and Social Studies test last year was OPEN BOOK... how the hell are these kids supposed to learn it? I was so furious when I told my daughter to study the chapter she had homework on and she explained that she didn't have to.. it was all open book tests. I still made her sit down and read them anyway.

THIS! !!!! We have the No Child Left Behind  "ACT" to thank for this crap. They can't teach what needs to be taught so this is their option. The Sr. here have to pass some stupid math test to graduate, the first YEAR they didn't even teach what was in that test. UGH!

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN