Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Friday
Do you have ODS?
by Friday
May 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM

By Bill O'Reilly for BillOReilly.com
Thursday, April 30, 2009

Remember the term "Bush Derangement Syndrome" which perfectly captured the hateful invective directed at the former president? Many conservatives roundly condemned "BDS," as they should have. Like him or not, the president tried hard to serve and protect America; he did not deserve to be cheap-shotted all day long by crazy left-wing loons.

But now the proverbial shoe is on the other foot, and there is "ODS" (Obama Derangement Syndrome) in play. The dictionary defines "derangement" as a form of insanity. And, after listening to some partisans evaluate Barack Obama's first one hundred days in office, I have to say there is some madness in the air.

On my TV program the other night, I graded President Obama on his performance thus far. I gave him a "B" for domestic policy, largely because the stock market has stabilized and the recession-panic mood is receding a bit. I then awarded Mr. Obama a "C" in the foreign policy category, because he has little to show for his public criticism of America. The Obama people will tell you that the President "planted a seed" while speaking overseas, but his spouting off about America's ills seemed weak to me.

Finally, I gave the President a "C+" for leadership. While his job approval poll ratings remain high, his waffling about the interrogation deal did not demonstrate a strong and forward-looking point-of-view, to say the least.

Well, after that on-the-air report card, I received quite a few dissenting letters. One guy in Arizona said he was glad I wasn't actually teaching, because I'd be the new Ward Churchill. Another man in Denver said I had lost my mind because Obama deserved "F's" across the board. Still another guy opined that the President had accomplished nothing and that I should be ashamed.

So, let me ask you, is ODS the same as BDS? I think it is.

Fairness is a hallmark of America. Our legal system, with its appeals process and litany of rights for the accused, is a great example of that. Greatness of any kind cannot be achieved without being fair. Tyrants may rule for a time, but they are never great.

Holding sincere opinions is also an honorable trait. There are fair-minded Americans who simply do not believe President Obama's liberal view of the world is good for the country. Fine, no problem with that. But everything the man does is not awful, and to assign him sinister motives is blatantly unfair-the same kind of inequity we saw heaped upon President Bush.

President Obama may turn out to be a disaster or he may rise to greatness. At this point, nobody knows what will happen. That is the great thing about democracy and about capitalism. When done right, those things give people a fair chance to succeed and there's nothing deranged about it.

I have admitted I have been surprised to find myself agreeing with Bill O on occasion. This is one of those times. I can understand disagreeing with Obama's policies but some on the right have gone completely rabid. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Kaelaasmom
    May 24, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I have to say, he is right (Friday, you know how hard that was for me to type!).

I don't agree with the "grades" Bill O'Reilly gave Obama, but at least he was somewhat objective in giving them.

• Raintree
    May 24, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Well... Go Bill.

• Friday
    by Friday
    May 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

I have to say, he is right (Friday, you know how hard that was for me to type!).

I don't agree with the "grades" Bill O'Reilly gave Obama, but at least he was somewhat objective in giving them.

I know, it's tough for me too. At least he seems to be trying to be objective which is more than I can say for most of his ilk and many I have seen here on CM.

• Della529
    May 24, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I didn't vote for the current president, nor did I vote for any of the big tickets.  But, I also don't have very much respect for Bill O, either.  However, in this case, I'll agree with him ~ Obama, four months in to his term, gets a C+.  I think he has a better understanding of dealing with the world and those who are "different", than he does with the economy.  And, I think his economic education is going to come from the wrong people...just like it did with Bush.

• tericared
    May 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM

OK then  I try to keep an open mind on most things in the world...but I am still having a hard time agreeing with him and seeing you ladies doing that same, lol

• Della529
    May 24, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Quoting tericared:

OK then  I try to keep an open mind on most things in the world...but I am still having a hard time agreeing with him and seeing you ladies doing that same, lol

Quoting Della529:

I didn't vote for the current president, nor did I vote for any of the big tickets.  But, I also don't have very much respect for Bill O, either.  However, in this case, I'll agree with him ~ Obama, four months in to his term, gets a C+.  I think he has a better understanding of dealing with the world and those who are "different", than he does with the economy.  And, I think his economic education is going to come from the wrong people...just like it did with Bush.

I am not really agreeing or disagreeing.  Obama, in my view, gets a C+ for his total score to date.  He has plenty of time to bring this up.

He has many excellent ideas (we know I LOVE his foriegn policy), but I worry when it comes to the economics, he's falling in to the wrong "hands" when it comes to finances.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN