dr_m
North Korea threatens retaliation in event of interception
by dr_m
March 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM

plans to launch satellite ..  hope to heck there is not a nuclear warhead on that satellite... they are sounding awfully defensive and aggressive...

N. Korea informs of satellite launch plans

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- North Korea has informed an international organization of plans to launch a satellite, the South Korean government told CNN Thursday.

South Koreans look at the USS John C. Stennis and the USS Blue Ridge in Busan Wednesday.

South Koreans look at the USS John C. Stennis and the USS Blue Ridge in Busan Wednesday.

The communist nation had notified the International Maritime Organization of its plans, said South Korean Ministry of Land and Transport, which did not say when the launch was scheduled to happen.

But Yonhap, South Korea's state-sponsored news agency, said it was slated for April 4 to 8, attributing the information to an intelligence official it did not name.

U.S. and South Korean officials have long said the communist nation is actually preparing to test-fire a long-range missile under the guise of a satellite launch.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/nkorea.launch/index.html

Replies

• athenax3
    March 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Quoting SophiaofLight:

All these countries are just going to do what they want now because they are not scared of Obama.  

North Korea made direct and hostile threats to Bush as well- Obama is not the point here believe it or not.

• ellyc19111
    March 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Quoting SophiaofLight:

All these countries are just going to do what they want now because they are not scared of Obama.  

You are SOOOO right!

• dr_m
    by dr_m
    March 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Quoting Mergath:

North Korea isn't actually going to launch a decent-sized attack on anyone. They know it, we know it, and they know that we know it. The North Korean government simply doesn't have the resources to defend itself from the inevitable counter-attack, and would be utterly destroyed. They simply use the threat of an attack to stay relevant in world politics. They are like a two-year-old child, screaming and stomping their feet when no one pays attention. Sadly, the only people who likely will get hurt are the civilian citizens of North Korea, who regularly starve to death so the government can use most of its budget to maintain its oversized military.

i'm not so sure about that.  that Korea will not launch an attack....   that's what we and other countries  are exactly worried about someone who is not thinking rationally or is evil and irrational...  getting ahold of weapon..  and using it...   no telling...

we don't even know there would be a massive counter attack ...  we were brutally attacked here, and we took some air and ground forces .. not a massive counter attack, in my book.. and if there were to be, he still may be irrational about it.. that's the problem.. he may even be psychotic... or nuts.. 

I heard this am that  Japan, will shoot down a missile, or "satellite" launch from Korea,

• dr_m
    by dr_m
    March 14, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Quoting athenax3:
    Quoting SophiaofLight:

North Korea made direct and hostile threats to Bush as well- Obama is not the point here believe it or not.

agree, athena...

• gogetem
    by gogetem
    March 14, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Uh, oh...  Do you have a link for that?

Quoting stormcris:

I think this says different:

US President Barack Obama warned Thursday of "risks" from North Korea's missile plans and pledged to work with China to dismantle the Stalinist state's nuclear program, the White House said.

Quoting Mergath:

North Korea isn't actually going to launch a decent-sized attack on anyone. They know it, we know it, and they know that we know it. The North Korean government simply doesn't have the resources to defend itself from the inevitable counter-attack, and would be utterly destroyed. They simply use the threat of an attack to stay relevant in world politics. They are like a two-year-old child, screaming and stomping their feet when no one pays attention. Sadly, the only people who likely will get hurt are the civilian citizens of North Korea, who regularly starve to death so the government can use most of its budget to maintain its oversized military.

• dr_m
    by dr_m
    March 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting athenax3:

Quoting ellyc19111:

I say flatten them and go back when the dust settles.

lol...I shouldn't laugh, but that was funny.

And why shouldn't you laugh?  I am! They'll be laughing at us whenever they accomplish whatever it is they're setting out to do!  Let's NIP 'em in the bud. NIP, get it?? hee hee

perhaps.. "truer things are said in jest "

They'll be laughing at us whenever they accomplish whatever it is they're setting out to do! 

you can bet they and a lot of the world will be laughing at us !      remember the people dancing and handing out candy to children, in celebration on 9/11 ..      i say, let us not be caught off guard again..  like Pearl Harbor, too..

• dr_m
    by dr_m
    March 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM

found the Japan article.... re Korea

Japan protests NKorea's rocket launch plan

Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea – Japan hinted it could down an incoming North Korean rocket, but analysts said the communist country will go ahead with a planned April launch with little fear of the consequences.

The North announced this week it will send a satellite into orbit between April 4-8, saying it would fly over Japan and designating a "danger" zone off the neighboring country in order to warn international shipping and aviation to avoid the area.

The rocket's first stage is expected to fall in waters less than 75 miles (120 kilometers) from Japan's northwestern shore, according to coordinates Pyongyang provided to U.N. agencies. The other zone where the second stage should fall lies in the middle of the Pacific Ocean between Japan and Hawaii.

The U.S. and other governments have warned that any rocket launch — whether missile test or satellite — would violate a 2006 U.N. Security Council resolution banning North Korea from ballistic missile activity.

"We protest a launch, and strongly demand it be canceled," Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso said Friday.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Takeo Kawamura said the country reserves the right to take out the rocket if it looks like it could hit.

Legally speaking, if this object falls toward Japan, we can shoot it down for safety reasons," he said.

Japan, which was shaken in 1998 when a North Korean missile flew over its territory and landed in the Pacific, has since moved to develop missile defense capabilities with some success. It downed a ballistic missile from a ship at sea in a 2007 test.

Lance Gatling, an independent defense analyst, said the country is capable of intercepting a medium-range missile. North Korea, though, is expected to fire a long-range rocket next month.  ....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090314/ap_on_re_as/as_nkorea_missile;_ylt=AlUCCH1JCqH0eXuKoMhmTpMBxg8F

bad

• dr_m
    by dr_m
    March 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Quoting gogetem:

Uh, oh...  Do you have a link for that?

Quoting stormcris:

I think this says different:

US President Barack Obama warned Thursday of "risks" from North Korea's missile plans and pledged to work with China to dismantle the Stalinist state's nuclear program, the White House said.

i was curious too, and found a little... re Obama trying to work with China on several issues, including regional security..  in a article on N Korea

....Analysts and government officials in the region believe Pyongyang is using the threatened missile launch to push its nuclear-linked demands to the top of the Obama administration's foreign policy agenda.

It has also threatened a naval clash with South Korea on the disputed western sea border between the two.

"One will come to know later what will be launched," the North's state-run news agency, KCNA, said.

By visiting Asia on her maiden trip, Clinton has broken with a long tradition among new secretaries of state of first visiting Europe or the Middle East.

The move is seen as an acknowledgement of China's growing status as an economic and military power.

Part of Clinton's visit to Japan is intended to reassure her hosts that they will not be bypassed diplomatically as Obama attempts to win Chinese cooperation on trade, the environment and regional security.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/17/hillary-clinton-north-korea-nuclear

• Mergath
    by Mergath
    March 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    Quoting ellyc19111:
    ho are you? A spokesman for the country? How is it YOU know so much about what they're 'gonna' do? It's our duty to figure out just exactly WHAT they're up to before they can put it into operation. Nobody needs another 911 OR pearl harbor. And as far as anybody starving to death, relax! I'm sure there are plenty of cats and dogs running around they can snack on.

I would have assumed it goes without saying that my post was simply my opinion. North Korea has been threatening military action forever, and they have yet to reduce anyone to a smoking pile of rubble. It's all just a political game. And you wouldn't joke so easily about North Koreans starving if you'd seen pictures of dead Koreans lying in the streets because the government spent all their money on the military, and left nothing for the people. Or are dead children funny now?

Try reading a book on the subject.
  • dr_m
    by dr_m
    March 14, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Quoting Mergath:

Quoting ellyc19111:
    ho are you? A spokesman for the country? How is it YOU know so much about what they're 'gonna' do? It's our duty to figure out just exactly WHAT they're up to before they can put it into operation. Nobody needs another 911 OR pearl harbor. And as far as anybody starving to death, relax! I'm sure there are plenty of cats and dogs running around they can snack on.

I would have assumed it goes without saying that my post was simply my opinion. North Korea has been threatening military action forever, and they have yet to reduce anyone to a smoking pile of rubble. It's all just a political game. And you wouldn't joke so easily about North Koreans starving if you'd seen pictures of dead Koreans lying in the streets because the government spent all their money on the military, and left nothing for the people. Or are dead children funny now?

Try reading a book on the subject.

i agree we are certainly all entitled to our own opinions.. thank God ...  of course, no one knows what will happen..   but  that's why i love this forum, we can discuss issues, and of course we do not always agree...  

i do feel very bad about the way some of these dictators treat their own people..  and he may or may not launch that thing...   of course i sure hope not.. but, surprise attack, or threat of attack.. i still would not want to be caught off guard..