Cafe GroupAdmin
Is Abstinence-Only Realistic? Should Schools Teach Sex Ed? Sarah Palin Video - "Life Happens"
February 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Bristol Palin: Abstinence-Only Isn't 'Realistic'

18-year-old Bristol Palin, who had her own baby last December, gave her first interview to FOX News's Greta Van Susteren this weekend. Much of the conversation, not surprisingly, revolved around the challenges of being a new mom.

"It's not just the baby that's hard. I'm not living for myself anymore," Palin says. But "I like being a mom. I love it ... It is very challenging but so rewarding." She also said telling her parents about her pregnancy was "harder than labor."

"I couldn't even say it, I was sick to my stomach," Palin says.

Both Bristol and Sarah Palin expressed skepticism about abstinence-only programs, which the Alaska governor supported when running for governor in 2006. "It sounds naive. Life happens," Sarah Palin said during a later interview with Van Susteren. "Truly, it can happen to anybody ... Less than ideal circumstances but we make the most out of it."

"Everybody should be abstinent but it's not realistic at all," added Bristol. "You should just wait ten years. It will be so much easier."

Replies

• .Tiggeroo87.
    February 17, 2009 at 11:51 PM

There is a sexuality component that was taught in all the health courses I took in junior high up to highschool. I believe it's really proven useless, kids are going to experiment, it doesn't matter if they are educated or not, the issues lie within the parents' ability to teach their children the right kind of morals and wise decision making, and developing a trusting relationship with your child so they feel comfortable enough to talk to you about these things.

School teaching is a waste of time. 

• suite_lady
    February 18, 2009 at 1:33 AM

She should send Bill Clinton her video and quit wasting her time with us.   Hillary would appreciate it I'm sure.

What a joke.  gag me with a silver spoon Paaaleezze!! 

• cmarielin
    February 18, 2009 at 1:48 AM

Well, it really isn't realistic to teach our kids only abstinence, as if that is positively for sure what's going to happen every time.  Life really does happen.

What we teach our kids is that there are contraceptives available, what they are, and how they work - but we do put abstinence on sort of a pedestal as being the only 100% sure to way to prevent pregnancy, keep from developing an STD that they'll have to live with for the rest of their lives, and keep from having the baggage of a way-too-serious relationship breakup into their next relationships and/or marriage.  That's realistic. 

• my2boyz117
    February 18, 2009 at 8:28 AM

It certainly won't HURT to teach sex Ed in school, yeah most kids won't listen SOME will, especially one's whose parents don't talk to them about it.  Is it "useless" for us as parents to talk to our kids about it too? I think kids need to know it's ok to come to us as parents w/questions/issues like pregnancy so that babies aren't thrown in the trash etc..I think the baby safe Havens are a great thing as well.

• yaya3129
    February 18, 2009 at 9:16 AM

I agree! I think that school's have resources that parents don't!! It's important for kids to "HEAR" about sex even if they don't LISTEN fully. However, it's not just the responsibility of the school. Parents need to be more active in their children's lives in this area. We see commercials all the time about smoking and drugs, we need to also make sure that we talk to our kids about sex. Even if they don't WANT to hear it. It is our responsibility as parents. Just by offering these conversations, I think we are telling our kids that we are there for them and that they can come to us to talk about ANYTHING!!! Abstinence is IDEAL but not always REALISTIC so let's keep them informed.

Quoting my2boyz117:

It certainly won't HURT to teach sex Ed in school, yeah most kids won't listen SOME will, especially one's whose parents don't talk to them about it.  Is it "useless" for us as parents to talk to our kids about it too? I think kids need to know it's ok to come to us as parents w/questions/issues like pregnancy so that babies aren't thrown in the trash etc..I think the baby safe Havens are a great thing as well.

• gogetem
    by gogetem
    February 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I don't need the government doing my job for me as a mommy.  They can't even manage to uphold the constitution.   They can butt out and leave the parenting to me.

• tuplamama
    February 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Here in Northern Europe sex education is part of school education. teenagers learn everything about hygiene, sexual/gender oriantations, contraceptives, STDs, love - pretty much the whole field is covered.

The result?

Teenagerpregnancies are pretty much non existing, STD/HIV stats very low and according to studies people don't jump to bed any earlier than in for example USA.

• Junebug926
    February 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I totally agree with this. In the US we make it all so taboo. Heaven forbid we talk about sex and our bodies as if we ignore the subject and just tell kids not to they will. 18 year olds can go off to war to serve our country, to die for our country, but yet we don't want to give them the information about their own bodies?! Seriously, that is messed up!!

Quoting tuplamama:

Here in Northern Europe sex education is part of school education. teenagers learn everything about hygiene, sexual/gender oriantations, contraceptives, STDs, love - pretty much the whole field is covered.

The result?

Teenagerpregnancies are pretty much non existing, STD/HIV stats very low and according to studies people don't jump to bed any earlier than in for example USA.

• Kays_Mama06
    February 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Sex ed should be a part of the school's system BUT needs to be backed by the parents. Some parents feel uncomfortable getting into the technicalities of sex and would feel better if a professional would explain it to their kids. Then their kids would come home and talk about it. I think that would be the ideal situation.

But in reality a lot of parents don't feel comfortable having complete strangers teaching their kids this stuff. This is why permission slips were invented. You get permission, cool. Everyone with permission can get out of class and actually learn something WITH the parents approval AND understanding of the topic that is being discussed.

If not, fine. Then that leaves the parent up to the sex education. 

Sex is overrated whether parents want to believe it or not. It WILL happen and the least parents could do is be open about.. Whether its teaching it themselves or leaving it up to professionals. 

• kkjacobs
    February 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM

WELL PUT

Quoting gogetem:

I don't need the government doing my job for me as a mommy.  They can't even manage to uphold the constitution.   They can butt out and leave the parenting to me.