Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
LancesMom
Chuck Schumer To Introduce Bill To Decriminalize Marijuana
April 21 at 9:44 PM
Chuck Schumer To Introduce Bill To Decriminalize Marijuana
April 20, 2018

SUSAN DAVIS

Thirty states have legalized some form of medical marijuana. Nine of those states and Washington, D.C., allow recreational sale of the drug.
Ted S. Warren/AP
Politics isn't always red or blue. Lately, it has been green.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., plans to introduce legislation on Friday to decriminalize marijuana on the federal level, adding a high-profile advocate in the effort to decriminalize, legalize and normalize marijuana use in America.

Schumer's legislation would remove marijuana from the list of scheduled substances under a 1970 law that classifies marijuana as dangerous as heroin for legal and regulatory purposes.

It would establish funding for women- and minority-owned marijuana businesses, require more research on the drug's public health impact, and maintain federal authority to regulate commercial advertising, similar to existing regulations for tobacco and alcohol.

"If smoking marijuana doesn't hurt anybody else, why shouldn't we allow people to do it and not make it criminal?" Schumer told Vice News Tonight on HBO in a Thursday interview previewing his bill. To drive home that point, Schumer also agreed to sign a bong.

The move comes on on 4/20, the unofficial holiday celebrating marijuana use and culture.

Replies

• MissAndree
    April 21 at 9:45 PM
    That should have already happened.
  • EireLass
    April 21 at 10:18 PM

@

• Oliviasmom72
    April 21 at 10:21 PM
    I don’t smoke pot and can’t stand the smell. If someone wants to smoke it in their own home who cares. I think it’s silly to put someone in jail for possession of it.

Can’t stand either Schumer but pot should be decriminalized.
  • turtle68
    April 21 at 10:27 PM

What will happen to all those in jail for marijuana?  I hope they will all be excused and have that taken off their history.  I can see a lot of jails having some hissy fits because they will lose money.  

• MythrylHavoc
    April 21 at 10:32 PM
    It would be absolutely amazing if this passes. I'd be getting off morphine asap if it does.
  • Bookwormy
    April 21 at 10:32 PM
    My only complaints with marijuana are no different than with alcohol for the most part, except my last couple:

1) driving under the influence is a significant problem;
    2) it does kill brain cells, and like alcohol this is especially problematic for youth under age 25, before their brains are fully developed;
    3) smoking is bad for you; and,
    4) many drugs are "natural" but that doesn't make them good for you. Marijuana may be better than some prescription medications and it is great at resolving side effects of chemo and other treatments, but it is not a panacea. No, it really isn't.
  • Momtoone07
    April 21 at 10:39 PM
    Neither alcohol nor marijuana kill brain cells. And, although heavy alcohol use can damage the brain, it is not due to cell death.

Quoting Bookwormy: My only complaints with marijuana are no different than with alcohol for the most part, except my last couple:

2) it does kill brain cells, and like alcohol this is especially problematic for ghost under age 25, before their brains are fully developed;
    4) many drugs are "natural" but that doesn't make them good for you. Marijuana may be better than some prescription medications and it is great at resolving side effects of chemo and other treatments, but it is not a panacea. No, it really isn't.
  • Mizz_Sassyfrass
    April 22 at 12:18 AM
    I so hope this actually happens, with the crackdown on opioid pain medication, people who live with chronic pain are slowly losing access to their pain medication, this gives us an alternative, but at the moment we never know if we will lose this option as well due to the federal status.
  • billsfan1104
    April 22 at 12:41 AM
    Since you are not a doctor, I will take number 3 and 4 with a grain of salt and consult a true doctor in regards to that.

Quoting Bookwormy: My only complaints with marijuana are no different than with alcohol for the most part, except my last couple:

2) it does kill brain cells, and like alcohol this is especially problematic for ghost under age 25, before their brains are fully developed;
  • MissAndree
    April 22 at 12:49 AM
    You need a doctor to tell you that smoking is bad for you? Are you challenged?

Quoting billsfan1104: Since you are not a doctor, I will take number 3 and 4 with a grain of salt and consult a true doctor in regards to that.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts