Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
anxiousschk
School Dance: Girls, you can't say no!
February 13 at 9:06 AM
U.S.

Elementary students told they can't say no when asked to dance — what's happening with school dances?

Replies

• Luvnlogic
    February 13 at 9:13 AM
    Hmmm...I don’t like it, either. They can politely decline and still be exhibiting kindness. No one should be forced to dance with someone.
  • 4evrinbluejeans
    KK
    February 13 at 9:13 AM

We hold a dance for 4-6th grade students each year, there isn't any partner dances, the kids dance in groups and we don't play slow songs.  It seems odd that an elementary school dance would ever be promoting partner dancing let alone forced consent.  

• Momof2Stepof3
    February 13 at 9:18 AM

I am so glad I am done with the public school systems come May. 

I worry about my kids raising kids in this new world that is forming. 

Quoting anxiousschk:
    U.S.

Elementary students told they can't say no when asked to dance — what's happening with school dances?

• StarLight23
    February 13 at 9:20 AM

Nope, nope nope! I wouldn't be allowing my son to go to a dance like that. They're essentially forcing the students to dance with someone that they don't like.

I would rather my son go to a dance that is sponsored by our church than a school dance (except prom).

• lilblu399
    February 13 at 9:20 AM
    Whomever came up with that idea should be banned from working with any child.

• randi1978
    February 13 at 9:21 AM

My kid would have told them to suck an egg.

• jessilin0113
    February 13 at 9:21 AM
    Yeah that's the way wrong message to be sending to kids at that age. A simple "no, thank you" is equally polite and teaches am important life skill. To both sexes. Girls will learn how to say no if they don't want something as well as bodily autonomy and boys will learn respect and how to handle rejection gracefully. Much better.
  • MythrylHavoc
    February 13 at 9:22 AM
    I'd be pissed too. That's not a good message to send to any child. I've made sure my kids know that if they don't want to be touched, they have the right to say no and have it be respected.
  • mama_danetta
    February 13 at 9:22 AM
    That is MESSED UP. But it's Utah, so what do you expect?
  • Blackburn3
    February 13 at 9:23 AM
    If I was a parent from that school I would raise holy hell. There is no one that is going to tell my daughter that she is not allowed to say no especially to a boy. I also wouldn’t want the message to my boy that a girl is required to say yes and cannot except rejection. Is just ridiculous how far we going to go to protect this upcoming generations feelings and push inclusion ?? This reminds me of the daddy daughter dance that they just canceled in New York because it’s not gender neutral. Give me a break !!!

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts