Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
-Celestial-
Trump proposes restricting choices for food stamp recipients
Monday at 10:29 PM
President Trump's new budget would severely restrict the kinds of foods that food stamp recipients could buy with the government assistance.

Recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — SNAP — receive a monthly supplement that offers help purchasing food.

But Trump's proposal would require people who receive at least $90 a month from the program to get about half of their benefits in the form of a “USDA food package,” rather than by purchasing the food themselves, NPR reported.

The proposed change would affect more than 80 percent of people enrolled in SNAP.

The packages recipients would be given would not include fresh fruits or vegetables. Instead, according to NPR, the packages would consist of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables."

The White House’s proposal would reduce government spending on SNAP by $129 billion over the next 10 years. Combined with other proposed changes to the program, the changes would shrink SNAP’s budget by $213 billion over the same amount of time, a 30 percent reduction.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/373507-trump-proposes-restricting-choices-for-food-stamp-recipients

Replies

• -Celestial-
    Monday at 10:30 PM
    Go right on a head and piss off those red state welfare recipients...
  • meriana
    by meriana
    Monday at 10:35 PM

I thought a big complaint from the Republicans was too much government interference in personal lives, government over-reach, etc. and now Trump wants to tell people what to eat? Hmmm.

• pvtjokerus
    Monday at 10:38 PM

Pssssstttt....close the border and you won't have as many flooding our system.  

Quoting -Celestial-: Go right on a head and piss off those red state welfare recipients...

• Schauseil
    Monday at 10:38 PM
    And its not even healthy foods...

Quoting meriana:

I thought a big complaint from the Republicans was too much government interference in personal lives, government over-reach, etc. and now Trump wants to tell people what to eat? Hmmm.

• CannotCount
    Monday at 10:41 PM
    What is shelf stable milk?
  • turtle68
    Monday at 10:44 PM

Im guessing UHTmilk or maybe condensed milk?

Quoting CannotCount: What is shelf stable milk?

• SommelierMom
    Monday at 10:46 PM
    I'm okay with this. Poverty shouldn't be comfortable.

I do wish there was some sort of option for fresh food, at least for those who are unable to earn other income and don't use SNAP as a supplement, like the truly disabled.
  • turtle68
    Monday at 10:48 PM

so like food bank packages?  That food that is either nearly or always out of date, given by companies and made into packages by volunteers..that sort of food package?

It should be given ON top of the benefit ...JMO

• jpickens
    Monday at 11:12 PM
    That’s what it sounds like. We had similar programs back home and I’ve seen one of the distro centers. It is like a food bank, with similar quality food (expired/out of date,etc).

Quoting turtle68:

so like food bank packages?  That food that is either nearly or always out of date, given by companies and made into packages by volunteers..that sort of food package?

It should be given ON top of the benefit ...JMO

• AdrianneHill
    Monday at 11:16 PM
    Chances are big food will shut this shit down. They make stupid money off food stamps which us why Reagan stopped giving government food to begin with.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts