Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
PamR
) North Carolina minister “repossesses” dead child’s headstone as “leverage” to collect family’s debt
by PamR
October 19 at 8:29 AM

)

North Carolina minister “repossesses” dead child’s headstone as “leverage” to collect family’s debt

The pastor says he removed the grave marker as “leverage” for getting the outstanding debt

Kali HollowayAlternet10.19.20176:00 AM

A North Carolina pastor has “repossessed” the grave marker of a 5-year-old who died of leukemia, because the bereaved family still owed his company money for the monument. Wayne and Crystal Leatherman, who buried their son a year ago, say they’re in shock.

“He repossessed it, like it was a car,” the boy’s mother told WBTV.

JC Shoaf, a Baptist minister who owns Southeastern Monument company, countered that the couple needed to pay up. He told the station that the family initially paid for the stone, but were in debt after requesting a number of changes that “added 400 pounds to the size of the marker and $2,500 in additional costs,” per local outlet News & Observer.

“If you buy something, you’ve got to pay for it. No matter what it is,” Shoaf told the news site. “I told (Wayne) I would take it up if they didn’t pay. I was told: ‘Go ahead.’ They probably owe less than $1,000 on it.”

The family contends that they were never alerted the account was in arrears. The first notice came when they went to visit the grave site and the headstone was missing.

“If I would have owed him the money I would have paid him,” Crystal Leatherman told WBTV. “This is not something you argue over.”

Shoaf expressed regret when questioned about the situation, and suggested to the News & Observer that a mediator might be brought in to solve the issue.

“I hated to do it. I’m not heartless and I have had a child die, so I know how it feels. But what was I to do? I thought having (the marker) would give me some leverage. In hindsight, I should have just written it up as a bad debt ... This could ruin my reputation. Hopefully, we can get this resolved, even if I take a loss on it.”

Jake Leatherman’s death in November 2016 made national news after dozens of NASCAR drivers and other personnel attended his funeral following a public request from his mother, stating the boy had been a big fan of the sport.

Replies

• PamR
    by PamR
    October 19 at 8:30 AM

Really?  Perhaps a fundraiser or collection among the congregation to help this family?  Just a thought.

• billsfan1104
    October 19 at 8:36 AM
    They knew they owed it. People make these excuses all the time. "I didn't know I owed it, I would have paid it, when something happens to them"
    There are letters, phone calls and sonforhnthat gonout before they can do something.
    I feel bad for them, but if you let people get away without paying for a service that they received because of the emotional aspect of it, then no one would pay their bills.
  • couture-mommy
    October 19 at 8:38 AM
    My thought too

Quoting PamR:

Really?  Perhaps a fundraiser or collection among the congregation to help this family?  Just a thought.

• -Celestial-
    October 19 at 9:53 AM
    The family contends that they were never alerted the account was in arrears. The first notice came when they went to visit the grave site and the headstone was missing.

“If I would have owed him the money I would have paid him,” Crystal Leatherman told WBTV. “This is not something you argue over.”
  • billsfan1104
    October 19 at 9:59 AM
    If he claims he can give him the money and pay him, then he can pay up and get the stone back.
    Again, it's one of these cases where they thought they would get away with not paying for a service or product they received, because if they play the "my kid died of cancer card", they will get away with not paying their bill.
    I feel bad that their child died. It's horrible. But they have to pay for the stone. They cannot claim they didn't know they owed the bill. They were sent notice after notice and were called as well.
  • SuG4
    by SuG4
    October 19 at 10:18 AM
    Maybe they thought the insurance policy paid it. We don’t know the whole story! Or do we?

Quoting billsfan1104: If he claims he can give him the money and pay him, then he can pay up and get the stone back.
    Again, it's one of these cases where they thought they would get away with not paying for a service or product they received, because if they play the "my kid died of cancer card", they will get away with not paying their bill.
    I feel bad that their child died. It's horrible. But they have to pay for the stone. They cannot claim they didn't know they owed the bill. They were sent notice after notice and were called as well.
  • nononenever
    October 19 at 10:25 AM

It sounds terrible, but in truth it is like a car.  They don't own it, because they didn't pay for it.   However, it's going to ruin his business because the sympathy vote goes to the parents here.  Seriously bad business sense.  He's already apologized, replaced it, and waived the bill, but it's still going to cost him even more. 

And he's a pastor too?  I'm not sure this is what Jesus would have done.   

I do think the parents should pay the bill though.  His bills don't go away because a child died.  His employees still need to be paid even if a child died.   I don't believe they didn't know.  Not if he warned them it would be taken and they said "go ahead."

• Billiejeens
    October 19 at 10:30 AM
    Dear freeloaders

Pay your bills
  • billsfan1104
    October 19 at 10:59 AM
    He told them they were going to remove it and they said "go ahead"
    Where I used to work, people would tell us that all the time "go ahead do it", when we talked about garnishment. Guess who they called when their employer got the garnishment notice?

Quoting SuG4: Maybe they thought the insurance policy paid it. We don’t know the whole story! Or do we?

Quoting billsfan1104: If he claims he can give him the money and pay him, then he can pay up and get the stone back.
  • Sparkles4Lui
    October 19 at 11:09 AM
    Did he not send any Certified, Signed Receipt Requested, letters to these parents?

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts