Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
survivorinohio
I think we need a mental illness registry EDIT NOT REGISTRY Open to public a flagging system for first responders
October 18 at 1:15 PM

Those who have been diagnosed with serious mentakl illness should be identified as such to paramedics and law enforcement as well as hospitals/doctors etc.  I am not takingt about depression or a disorder I mean serious mental illness like Bipolar 1 and 2  schitzophrenia and i would also include diabilities like autism and developmentally disabled as well.  This would be inorder to protect the infirm not discriminate against them.  If their illness is known protocols can be developed to safely have encounters with these people.  

My daughter has severe mental illness.  I am not anti mentally ill.  I want them safe'

Thoughts?

****EDIT*****  

Registry implys open to public no I want a flagging system for first responders.

Replies

• Billiejeens
    October 18 at 1:17 PM

Could just forward this group member list -

That would be a fairly good start.

• tiafez
    by tiafez
    October 18 at 1:27 PM

I was going to give a real answer until I read the one above mine. so much for a conversation. 

• -Celestial-
    October 18 at 1:27 PM
    My sil is paranoid schizophrenic. Shes made to wear a bracelet by her dr because she has ran away and other dumb things.

Shes been brought back home because of the bracelet.

It has her medical records number. Her disease. And address.

Im not sure if it goes into a registry or not
  • PPCLC
    by PPCLC
    October 18 at 1:29 PM

I tend to agree with you, Survivor, and due to what we've been seeing (and continue to) with our niece that lives with us.

She is also developmentally disabled and is mentally ill, possibly SMI.

• Bookwormy
    October 18 at 1:32 PM
    Bipolar II is not necessarily severe, unless the depression is. Major depressive disorder can be quite severe and is considered an SMI. Autism is on a spectrum. So are developmental disabilities and intellectual disabilities.

I think this is a terrible idea. It will lead to further stigma, which leads to folks refusing treatment.

If I am concerned that someone poses an imminent threat to self or others, then there are exceptions to confidentiality and I can & do seek out help, up to and including law enforcement if necessary. All my clients know this, due to informed consent. This is enough.
  • bluefirewolf
    October 18 at 1:33 PM

why bipolar I and 2?  I dunno I think you could get into some dangerous ground here - who would make the decision of which illness should be identified?  

• Bookwormy
    October 18 at 1:34 PM
    You could participate and just ignore the troll.

Quoting tiafez:

I was going to give a real answer until I read the one above mine. so much for a conversation. 

• Bookwormy
    October 18 at 1:36 PM
    I disagree with it, but if done, it should include what is called SMI serious mental illness, major depressive disorder, bipolar I disorder, & schizophrenia.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

why bipolar I and 2?  I dunno I think you could get into some dangerous ground here - who would make the decision of which illness should be identified?  

• Donna6503
    October 18 at 1:38 PM
    What's going to be considered a "mental illness" in order to be put on such a register.

What everything listed in DSM-5.

Gender Dysphoria?

Arachnophobia?

My problem with such a register; how will it be administered, how can one get unlisted, can employers use the list?

There's way too many harms that can come from such a list, to render any social benefit from such a list to be considered acceptable for me.
  • bluefirewolf
    October 18 at 1:40 PM

I can see cogniitive delays, autism, and schizophrenia because of the obvious problems with regards to themselves, police, and others, including communication, rationale, etc.  I don't see it for major depressive disorder or bipolor I or 2 disorder.  

Quoting Bookwormy: I disagree with it, but if done, it should include what is called SMI serious mental illness, major depressive disorder, bipolar I disorder, & schizophrenia.
    Quoting bluefirewolf:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts