Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
romalove
United We Stand?
October 17 at 7:44 AM

So I read a lot of different things on the CM forums, and most of them are about divide.

Divide between people who believe in God and don't believe.

Divide between the God believing people on who believes in the right God, or when they agree on the God, the right way to actually worship said God.

Divide between people in different parts of the country, like the middle of the country hating on the coasts, and people on the coasts saying derogatory things about the people in that middle of the country.

Divide between people of different races and ethnicities.

Divide politically between conservative and liberal, R and D.

Divide after divide after divide.

I see wholesale dismissal of problems other people are dealing with, depending on where they are in the country.  When there is a national disaster, for example, I see people in different parts of the country saying they don't care because they don't live there.

And my question then is.....at this point in our history, are we united as a country in any way?  Are we all protecting the same things, holding the same values, sharing concern and care for one another regardless of where we live in America?  Are we OK if Texas or California decides to secede, for example?

I'm wondering what you all see as commonality that makes America "one" country, one place that all Americans can call home, that we all feel we share.

Replies

• turtle68
    October 17 at 8:28 AM

I hope for all your sakes someone has something to say in this post.

but here is a hopeful rendition that gives me hope on a global scale

• couture-mommy
    October 17 at 8:32 AM
    I don't believe we were ever united.
    We all have our issues that we think are more important than others and we all want to make ourselves seem like better people.

We just live here, want to make money, want our children to be happy and prosper.
    I guess that's the only thing the majority has in common.
  • romalove
    October 17 at 8:42 AM

I would hope that you're right in what we have in common.  The problem, as I see it, is that we don't all see how to get to that goal.  I also think there are long simmering animosities that have been ignored and are bubbling to the surface.

I'm not sure that what's best for one region or state is what's best for another.  I'm also not sure that people care.  We had our annual 9/11 remembrances recently, and there were a lot of people in forums on CM saying that they didn't care, it didn't happen where they were and they didn't have anyone affected so it didn't matter to them.  Even when it was pointed out that a terrorist attack anywhere in America is a terrorist attack on America in general, they disagreed and didn't care.

Quoting couture-mommy: I don't believe we were ever united. We all have our issues that we think are more important than others and we all want to make ourselves seem like better people. We just live here, want to make money, want our children to be happy and prosper. I guess that's the only thing the majority has in common.

• PamR
    by PamR
    October 17 at 8:51 AM

I think we're probably more divided now than we have been in a long time.

Not sure we've ever been a truly united country, either.  I read a book a while back called American Nations about the founding of the country and the distinct regional cultures.  Basically, we've remained a country with regional cultures and religion and politics are a part of that.

There seems to be an inability on some people's part to empathize with something that hasn't happened to them personally or to respect a belief system that isn't like theirs. 

• bluefirewolf
    October 17 at 8:57 AM

at this point no, we are not united 

• romalove
    October 17 at 8:58 AM

I'm wondering if the instinct for tribalism and "othering" of those who are not in your own tribe is contributing to this problem.

Certainly the advent of the Internet has allowed us all to get to know one another far more than we ever could before.

We are discovering.....we liked each other better when we didn't know one another LOL.

Quoting PamR:

Not sure we've ever been a truly united country, either.  I read a book a while back called American Nations about the founding of the country and the distinct regional cultures.  Basically, we've remained a country with regional cultures and religion and politics are a part of that.

There seems to be an inability on some people's part to empathize with something that hasn't happened to them personally or to respect a belief system that isn't like theirs. 

• romalove
    October 17 at 9:00 AM

Do you think we ever were?  If so, when?

Quoting bluefirewolf:

• PamR
    by PamR
    October 17 at 9:04 AM

It's true.  Familiarity breeds contempt?  The anonymity of the internet makes people very bold in how they talk about others. 

Quoting romalove:

I'm wondering if the instinct for tribalism and "othering" of those who are not in your own tribe is contributing to this problem.

Certainly the advent of the Internet has allowed us all to get to know one another far more than we ever could before.

We are discovering.....we liked each other better when we didn't know one another LOL.

Quoting PamR:

• bluefirewolf
    October 17 at 9:08 AM

no I don't think we were and it is even more obvious now because shitler supporters have come out from under their rocks.  But these things have been going on for forever.  POC have always been disenfranchised and there has always been institutional racism, when Jewish Immigrants came here, as well as the Irish, etc they were spit upon.  No never.  This country was created by genocide and built on the backs of Black slaves.  So even it's origins were immoral and unethical and murderous and hypocritical.

Quoting romalove:

Do you think we ever were?  If so, when?

Quoting bluefirewolf:

• Healthystart30
    October 17 at 9:23 AM
    Maybe technology has shed a better light on differences rather than what we have in common? But the US is a very young country, being built by people that come from all over and its history has been tumultuous plus it us huge! Many people have seen only the state they live in, so they "other" people in different states because its like living in Denmark and something bad happening in France. Yes it makes you sad and angry and you want to send something to help but at the end of the day, you still hold on to your routine and nothing really changes. Good examples are Chicago and Flint.
    Will this change? maybe, but not for a long time.

sometimes something happens that seems to push everyone together like 9/11 but I think we can all agree that we don't want that to happen again

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts