Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
-Celestial-
Trump Mourns Loss of Our 'Beautiful' Confederate Statues
August 17 at 9:49 AM
NEWSER) – If you're wondering where President Trump sits on the question of whether America's Confederate statues should be taken down, wonder no more. Trump addressed the topic in a three-part tweet Thursday morning. He writes, "Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments. You..... / ...can't change history, but you can learn from it. Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson - who's next, Washington, Jefferson? So foolish! Also... / ...the beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed and never able to be comparably replaced!"

http://m.newser.com/story/247358/trump-mourns-loss-of-our-beautiful-confederate-statues.html

Replies

• -Celestial-
    August 17 at 9:49 AM
    Theres no damn statues of Hitler and he hasn't been forgotten.

Drama queen.
  • MsRkg
    by MsRkg
    August 17 at 9:55 AM
    . He personally has destroyed historic buildings and artifacts when it suited him personally.He doesn't care about these statues.
  • BmoreRavens
    August 17 at 9:59 AM

Quoting -Celestial-: Theres no damn statues of Hitler and he hasn't been forgotten. Drama queen.

I like what Condoleeza Rice had  say ... "tearing down statues is sanitizing history." Is she being a drama queen? I don't think so.

• Sparkles4Lui
    August 17 at 10:07 AM
    Moving them to museums or civil war cemeteries or even civil war battlefields is not tearing them down, nor is it rewriting or removing history.
  • pdxmum
    by pdxmum
    August 17 at 10:09 AM
    I hope these statues are placed in a museum to remember and contextualize history. Not in town squares glorifying and honoring history.

Like the confederate flag, they are toxic. I usually shy away from discussions of confederate symbols because I believe there are many, many good people who truly see them as part of their cultural history and do not see them as representative of slavery and insurrection against America. Those people did not participate in the tiki torch ugliness or protest the next day.

I can't shy away anymore. I'm sorry my southern friends. Your symbols have been co opted by hate and bigotry in a way you can recover. Fight for a museum. Fight to hear you story told. But also fight against the white supremacist ever growing Nazi sensibility. Take down the confederate statues.
  • SuG4
    by SuG4
    August 17 at 10:11 AM
    I believe she's wrong. This country's history CANNOT be sanitized! It's got far too much blood on it's hands for that!

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting -Celestial-: Theres no damn statues of Hitler and he hasn't been forgotten.

Drama queen.

I like what Condoleeza Rice had  say ... "tearing down statues is sanitizing history." Is she being a drama queen? I don't think so.

• romalove
    August 17 at 10:40 AM
    Good grief.

These statues don't remember history, they revise it, turning traitors into heroes.

• Sparkles4Lui
    August 17 at 10:42 AM
    How do you feel about the ones removed during the night recently in Baltimore?

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting -Celestial-: Theres no damn statues of Hitler and he hasn't been forgotten.

Drama queen.

• SuG4
    by SuG4
    August 17 at 10:43 AM
    People keep talking about black slaves fought under Lee! Is there a monument for them in the town square? Umm... not!

Quoting romalove: Good grief.

These statues don't remember history, they revise it, turning traitors into heroes.

• CStarz
    by CStarz
    August 17 at 10:46 AM

Removing those statues is not about sanitizing history- they do belong in museums and both of those men's stories are told in history in every discussion about the Civil War. However, their likenesses should not be celebrated as American heroes, they were not. They were confederate generals who purposefully fought for the confederacy's right to own other human beings. Sanitizing history is calling them American heroes and ignoring the fact that they committed acts of treason against America. 

The issue with symbols of the confederacy is that after the war the US wanted to normalize relations as quickly and smoothly as possible and basically granted a blanket amnesty- no confederate person would be charged with treason or any other crimes associated with the war. Confederate symbols were allowed to remain as a sign of this uneasy truce. Consequently, the south very purposefully sanitized their version of the war, you know, the War of Northern Aggression. 

Symbols of the confederacy are symbols of bigotry; the first article of the confederation was establishment of the right to own slaves- that was a pivotal part of the disagreement; it was about state's rights to the extent that certain states wanted the right to own human beings; it was about economics insofar as plantation owners and slave owners wanted to remain in control of free labor to bolster their profits. Slaves could be sent to work for others and their pay directly credited to their owners. 

The economy and culture of the south were deeply rooted in slavery; look at the Jim Crow laws. States purposefully created a system of segregation and discrimination. We all know there was no equality in this separation. These laws were not repealed until the 1960's- the wounds of slavery and Jim Crow are still quite fresh. Just because we make a law protecting someone's rights does not mean that they are not discriminated against. There has been a lot of talk about the Civil War recently and how it's been done for 200 years but no talk about Jim Crow, lynching and segregation. 

Confederate symbols are symbols of rebellion, bigotry and hate; we may interpret this diferently as time passes but the reality is they are jsut as much a symbol of hate and white supremacy as burning crosses. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts