Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
HOT4TCHR
My question for current Republicans...piog
Sunday at 11:40 AM

You're standing at a protest or rally waving your American flag.  Perhaps you are there because you are in favor of common sense immigration reform.  Maybe it's a protest against using tax money to fund Planned Parenthood.  Or it could be a protest against the removal of a Robert E Lee statue, a move which you believe is revisionist and/or apologist.

And while you're standing there peacefully waving your American flag, people come stand next to you and they're waving Nazi flags.  They may be wearing an American flag t-shirt or an In God We Trust baseball cap.  But they are waving big red flags with swastikas on them.  And there's more of them coming to join you in your protest/rally.

What do you do?

Replies

• Billiejeens
    Sunday at 11:52 AM
    Nothing
  • Lemon-Sunshine
    Sunday at 11:55 AM
    It doesn't matter what your party affiliation is, you can't do anything besides remove yourself.
  • trippyhippy
    Sunday at 11:57 AM
    Well we know you wood do nothing you'd crack a beer with them probably. You've already said you believed the KKK is on the right side of History usually.

Quoting Billiejeens: Nothing
  • Shabby_Chic
    Sunday at 11:58 AM

I don't agree with a lot of what some people say or believe. It isn't my place to censor that, just like it isn't anyone else's.  If it is done peacefully without violence they have as much right to freely speak or show what they believe as anyone else.  I would be offended by this, but I don't have the right not to be offended in the same way that others have the right to freely do this. 

That doesn't mean there aren't consequences of a more personal nature that comes with having this right. 

• PPCLC
    by PPCLC
    Sunday at 12:04 PM

No longer a Republican but was for some time.

What would I do? Walk away from them. 

If it was clear they were there for more than protesting (promoting violence, etc), I'd contact the police as I would in any other rally or protest situation that appeared to be taking on a more violent tone, so to speak.

They wouldn't and don't represent my beliefs but if they're only there to protest peacefully, my option is to walk away from them and/or the entire rally if it's clear that there were more of them than myself.

• Billiejeens
    Sunday at 12:04 PM
    Or -

The OP laid out a very reasonable scenario for reasons that I might be there (whether she agrees or not)

I am not arrogant or Facist enough to think that the person standing next to me has reasons that are inferior to mine.

Quoting trippyhippy: Well we know you wood do nothing you'd crack a beer with them probably. You've already said you believed the KKK is on the right side of History usually.

• marmie41
    Sunday at 12:07 PM
    Don't assume just because some one is registered as a republican the are alt right or support the KKK.

• PamR
    by PamR
    Sunday at 12:10 PM

Why?

• Billiejeens
    Sunday at 12:12 PM
    What would you have me do?

Quoting PamR:

Why?

• PamR
    by PamR
    Sunday at 12:20 PM

Quoting Billiejeens: What would you have me do?
    Quoting PamR:

Why?

At the very least, physically distance yourself.  Personally, I would give my opinion before doing that.  It's not okay not to call it out.  It never has been. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts