Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts

Replies

• momtimesx4
    July 27 at 3:30 AM

Quoting snowball01201:

No he was not protecting his home or himself when he shot her. He chased her down in an ally and shot her in the back! TWICE! Had it happened in his house I would agree with you, but that's not the case. This man is just as much of a criminal as the two who broke into his home. Two wrongs don't make a right

That all depends on the location as local, county and state laws will vary along with the zeal of the state at hand.  Some places have this on their books.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

• Clairwil
    July 27 at 4:26 AM

Quoting stormcris:

Many women have used that tactic to gain sympathy during an attack. I don't think anyone should fault her for trying it.

I fault her.

The more non-pregnant women who try to gain unfair advantage by falsely claiming to be pregnant, the more likely it is that a pregnant woman will be disbelieved when she makes that claim, and thereby unfairly be not accorded a facility reserved for such.

• turtle68
    July 27 at 6:13 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting stormcris:

Many women have used that tactic to gain sympathy during an attack. I don't think anyone should fault her for trying it.

I fault her.

The more non-pregnant women who try to gain unfair advantage by falsely claiming to be pregnant, the more likely it is that a pregnant woman will be disbelieved when she makes that claim, and thereby unfairly be not accorded a facility reserved for such.

the boy who cried wolf scenario.  

I dont believe it myself personally......people will shoot anyway...like this man and some wont.  Either way its in the makeup to do so regardless to whether its a lie or not.  JMO.

• Debmomto2girls
    July 27 at 7:07 AM
    I completely agree. I might do the same thing if I knew some coward was about to shoot me.

Quoting stormcris:

• candlegal
    July 27 at 7:20 AM
    well, since this is something like post number 5 on this subject I'm sure you can go back and read all the responses.

Quoting jessilin0113: I'm almost disappointed, only because it would have been fun to watch the anti-choice crowd work themselves into knots trying to figure out what to think.
  • acrogodess
    July 27 at 7:21 AM
    See, personally, if someone had attacked and seriously injured my 81 year old grandma, I may be perfectly willing to accept a murder charge. I would be too irrational at that specific moment in time to be reasoned with.

The Adrenaline from having discovered a robbery in progress as well as having been attacked, beaten and having his collar bone injured may have been pumping big time. It is called a "crime of passion". A good lawyer would be able to argue the old man was justified in his actions. No one would be in a good state of mind after all that had just occurred to them.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but they had no problem victimizing this old man. The news story could have easily been how he was found days later dead after having been robbed and beaten. I'm glad the old man survived the attack on his home and person.
  • mcknitro
    July 27 at 9:11 AM
    Well said!!! So many people want to judge him for his actions, yet none of them were there at the time. None of them knows the fear he may have undergone and therefore a possible state of temporary insanity. Maybe he was not able in that moment to make the determination of what was right or wrong, and therefore did what he believed would protect him at the time. I think a good lawyer could get him off the hook too. The only ones in this scene rio under the right state of mind were the criminals. Their actions only are what got her killed. The rest is a circumstance of the situation that SHE chose to be in.

I, myself, would want to give the intruder the time to double back and come at me again.

Also, I'd like to know how an 80 yr old man chased 20 something yr old down to shoot them? And if shot in the back, how was she pleading she was pregnant?

Quoting acrogodess: See, personally, if someone had attacked and seriously injured my 81 year old grandma, I may be perfectly willing to accept a murder charge. I would be too irrational at that specific moment in time to be reasoned with.

The Adrenaline from having discovered a robbery in progress as well as having been attacked, beaten and having his collar bone injured may have been pumping big time. It is called a "crime of passion". A good lawyer would be able to argue the old man was justified in his actions. No one would be in a good state of mind after all that had just occurred to them.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but they had no problem victimizing this old man. The news story could have easily been how he was found days later dead after having been robbed and beaten. I'm glad the old man survived the attack on his home and person.
  • stormcris
    July 27 at 10:07 AM

In a life/death or even rape/non-rape situation, whatever works. I don't think those who would think twice would take the chance and those who wouldn't, wouldn't have cared either way. It would seem to me that reaction relies on core values, and those are hard to jade.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting stormcris:

I fault her.

• littlemum41
    July 27 at 10:28 AM

Quoting jessilin0113: I'm almost disappointed, only because it would have been fun to watch the anti-choice crowd work themselves into knots trying to figure out what to think.

Yep.  ;)

• littlemum41
    July 27 at 10:30 AM

Yep. It shouldn't be that hard to understand. Seems pretty clear to me,too.

Quoting Momniscient: Who feels sorry for her? The point is that she didn't need to die for her crime at the hands of someone who didn't need to shoot her. Good lord.
    Quoting Godgaveme4: And if he had shot her while she was in the home? Would those of you who feel sorry for this criminal feel differently?

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN