Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Suspect in 11-Year-Old's Brutal Murder Is Just 14 Years Old
January 23 at 9:21 AM

Suspect in 11-Year-Old's Brutal Murder Is Just 14 Years Old

by Jeanne Sager

butcher kinfeThere is really no easy way to talk about the tragic news coming out of Chicago today, so let's talk about what we know for sure. An 11-year-old girl was stabbed to death. A 14-year-girl has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder (as a juvenile). And police in the Windy City say the deceased was stabbed a total of 40 times.

Forty. Times.

This is not child's play, not some little fight gone terribly wrong.

What police are describing is a brutal killing, a crime of passion, a crime of off-the-scale rage.

The 11-year-old's autopsy apparently revealed 30 stab wounds across the neck, chest, and arms, plus defensive wounds on the hands, bruises on the chest, and slash marks across the child's face. The two girls, relatives, were allegedly home alone together at the time of the incident, and police believe the 11-year-old was killed shortly before the 14-year-old called 911 to report that the other child had been hurt.

I realize I say this any time a child is accused of a violent crime, but this isn't how the world is SUPPOSED to work. I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't; I'm simply optimistic enough to hope that reports like this are exceptions that prove the rule, that kids in general are still good.

That children don't kill.

Isn't that how we all are? We see these things on Law & Order: SVU, and we take comfort in the notion that it's "just for TV."

Naive or not, that's the way I'd prefer life. I don't want to start looking at every 14-year-old girl I meet and wondering, "Does she have it in her to stab her relative, a mere child, 40 times?" She should be thinking about algebra, a school dance, going out for the softball team ... not murder.

Obviously, when a 14-year-old stands accused of first-degree murder, we need to talk about it. There needs to be a conversation about the hows and the whys, if only to prevent future tragedy.

But let us not lose ourselves in the details here. Let us not become a nation where we become inured to the horror, where these types of crimes cease to shock us.

What is your honest reaction to this horror? Do you feel like we're hearing these stories more and more?

Replies

• meriana
    by meriana
    January 23 at 10:19 AM

I don't know if it's happening more or we just hear about it more due to the ease and speed in which things are communicated these days.  I do think young teens are far more aware of what goes on in the world these days than in the past and I'm not altogether sure that's a good thing.

• Lax5
    by Lax5
    January 23 at 10:21 AM
    I have to wonder if there were any warning signs. I mean there had to be right? I will never understand the violence. Sadly when things like this happen it confuses me, makes me sad and even pisses me off, but it doesn't shock me anymore. 😢
  • annabl1970
    January 23 at 11:22 AM

Yeah I read that.

She said her half-sister was ungrateful

I think this girl is mentally ill

How she could be be tried as adult?

• survivorinohio
    January 23 at 11:24 AM

So sad:(

• jessica1078
    January 23 at 11:30 AM
    Technology has made us more aware of these types of crime, unfortunately history has shown that young killers existed hundreds of years ago.

The media has easier routes now to relay the news.
  • MeAndTommyLee
    January 23 at 11:53 AM

Sibling murders do not surprise me anymore. Killer kids don't make me blink twice anymore either. The saddest parts are that this 11 year old lost her life over nothing, and the mother of these girls has lost both of her daughters.  As far as having sympathy for the killer teen; I can't muster up any.  In fact I'm angry that she most likely will walk free at 21.  

• GLWerth
    by GLWerth
    January 23 at 11:54 AM

This is what I was going to say.

Quoting jessica1078: Technology has made us more aware of these types of crime, unfortunately history has shown that young killers existed hundreds of years ago.

• jessica1078
    January 23 at 11:58 AM
    Great minds... ;-)

Quoting GLWerth:

This is what I was going to say.

Quoting jessica1078: Technology has made us more aware of these types of crime, unfortunately history has shown that young killers existed hundreds of years ago.

• PinkButterfly66
    January 23 at 2:42 PM

My reaction?  I can't breathe!  What was going on in this girl's head to murder her own sister this way?  Their poor mother, I cannot even begin to imagine the pain she must be feeling.

• Chaos1229
    January 23 at 2:44 PM
    What the hell is happening lately smh.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN