Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
stormcris
Should CGI have been chosen to design the ACA website?
October 27, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Michelle Obama's classmate being top in CGI company aside...

Should they only look at one bid and is it questionable that after getting the contract CGI became a major campaign supporter?

George Schindler, the president for U.S. and Canada of the Canadian-based CGI Group, CGI Federal’s parent company, became an Obama 2012 campaign donor after his company gained the Obamacare website contract.

Earlier this month, Washington Examiner reported the Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare and Medicaid handed CGI Obamacare account without putting the contract out to competitive tender.

It has since been revealed four companies submitted bids, but only CGI was considered for the $93 million Healthcare.gov contract.

This meant the company could be assigned government contracts worth up to $4 billion until 2017 without having to bid publicly for them. 

Revealed: Michelle Obama's Princeton classmate is top executive at firm that that built disastrous Obamacare website after being awarded no-bid $93m contract

• Michelle Obama’s Princeton classmate is an executive at the company that built Obamacare website
  • Toni Townes-Whitley is senior vice president at CGI Federal which earned contract to build the site. She joined in May 2010
  • The women are both members of the Association of Black Princeton Alumni
  • The Department of Health and Human Services reviewed only CGI’s bid for the Obamacare account even though four companies submitted bids
  • CGI became an approved government vendor in 2007

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2477403/Michelle-Os-Princeton-classmate-exec-company-built-Obamacare-website.html#ixzz2itvmC6jD 

Did we not take issue when Cheney did this with Halliburton? Should we have some way to keep people from buying contracts?

Replies

• 12hellokitty
    October 27, 2013 at 7:45 AM

It will be interesting to see if the MSM gives this much attention. 

• romalove
    October 27, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I don't understand this at all.

I thought all public works jobs were put up for bids.  My husband does a lot of civil engineering work in NYC and works with companies that have to bid on some of the municipal jobs, they are tasked to give to the lowest bidder even if they aren't the best bidder.

How can they have four people offering bids and not look at three of them?

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    October 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM

There is no comparison to Haliburton because Unlike CGI, Haliburton is the only company that can do what Haliburton does, effectively, which is why Presidents since FDR have awarded them contracts.  It has nothing effectively to do with Cheney. 

• KhloesMom2009
    October 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Quoting Carpy:

There is no comparison to Haliburton because Unlike CGI, Haliburton is the only company that can do what Haliburton does, effectively, which is why Presidents since FDR have awarded them contracts.  It has nothing effectively to do with Cheney. 

I can agree that Haliburton is well known, but I don't know for a fact that it's the only company that can do what it does. Do you? With certainty? Just curious.

• romalove
    October 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Quoting KhloesMom2009:

Quoting Carpy:

I can agree that Haliburton is well known, but I don't know for a fact that it's the only company that can do what it does. Do you? With certainty? Just curious.

If the jobs are put up for bid and Haliburton is the only game in town, they will be the only acceptable bidder regardless.

So, there should be no harm in putting up the jobs for bid, unless I am missing something.

• DSamuels
    October 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

This company was also in charge of dispersing $2 billion of Sandy relief. We all know how well that went. 

http://o.dailycaller.com/thedailycaller/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drudgereport.com%2F#!/entry/526bd688025312186c70dcac

They were also fired and not paid by the Canadian gov't for messing up two separate computer projects. Why the were given a second project is puzzling to me.

• stormcris
    October 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I think that they should all be put up for bid with all the bids considered.

Quoting romalove:

I thought all public works jobs were put up for bids.  My husband does a lot of civil engineering work in NYC and works with companies that have to bid on some of the municipal jobs, they are tasked to give to the lowest bidder even if they aren't the best bidder.

• TranquilMind
    October 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Welcome to politics

Quoting romalove:

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    October 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Why are software development jobs being outsourced to Canada? We have plenty of software developers in this country, including some who currently are looking for work, who could have probably done a much better job than this firm. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN