Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
DestinyHLewis
Serious conundrum. Common sense. I'm freaking out!!! HELP!
October 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM

You participated in a team fundraiser. Instead of just begging outside a local store, parents decided that they would sell candy, water, soda, and chips, in addition to collecting donations. 

Originally it was said that the parents who participated in buying items for fundraiser and working it could be  reimbursed from proceeds. The day of, all (or we thought) agreed to "donate" food and drink items and just use the leftovers for another fundraiser. Parents were told to buy one 24 package of water or soda, and one package of candy or chips. It was also stated that you shouldn't buy more than $20 in supplies for each parent. 

You count the $$ made, and it wasn't bad to be honest for only 3 hour shifts, then tell the parents what each kid will get in their account. 

One mom comes back and asks if that  amount is in addition to what they spent and when will the cost of the candy/ soda be reimbursed. 

Ummmm? We all agreed to donate the items we sold. I'm confused. 

I then go and pull this moms receipt. She spent a total of $108!!! 

Only 8 parents worked. Of the 7  other participants, the collective expenses for soda, water, candy, chips, and ice was $64.23. 

If I reimbursed this parent it would cut the profits by $15 or more per kid. 

I don't know what to do. 

It was made clear to buy one of each and this person took it upon themselves to go above and beyond, which is nice, but not helpful or a sensible thing to do. The rest didn't even spend $100 combined and we have a crap ton left over! Taking over my garage by the way. So not the point, I'll move on. 

Now what? 

Do I go back to everyone else and tell them they made a lot less  $$ because one person spent more than the rest of the group combined, or do I tell her she can be reimbursed overtime, and that I'm sorry she spent so much? 

I'm stressing out big time. I don't want to piss anyone off, but I also don't want those who followed directions to loose money. 

What would you do? 

Ps. $15/$16 may not seem like a lot, but it is when you figure that's almost half of your profits from a 3 hour shift, and we pay close to $7000 a year for this sport. Not including travel, hotels, food, etc when away from home. 

They should all be getting $45.48. If we had to reimburse this mom? We'd all get about $29. 

Replies

• LaughCryLive
    October 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM
    Yikes!

Idk what I would do this time but next time have a flier and write donation on all of it.

• DestinyHLewis
    October 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM

For real!!! I'm not good with this type of drama. Lol 

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Yikes!

• gdiamante
    October 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Wait a sec... they were told NOT to spend more than $20 each? Then she spent about $80 over her allotment. She can deduct it from her taxes.

• krysstizzle
    October 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Eek. Oh, the joys of fundraising and parent crap (that's what I call it, "parent crap" - all those little joys of school politics and interactions...)

If it were truly decided by the group and clearly voiced that the food items would be donated, I would just explain to the mom that this is what happened, this is when it was decided, and this is when she agreed to or heard about it. 

If, by some chance, she was truly left out of the loop, talk to her and explain. Then ask if she would be willing to donate at least a part of what she spent. If there is still food and stuff left over, offer to give that to her in lieu of dollars or something. 

Good luck!

• JakeandEmmasMom
    October 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    Was this a one-time thing, or will there be other soda and candy sales? If so, I'd just say this mom met her donation quota for the season. She just did it up front.
  • gdiamante
    October 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I"m also thinking you stage an additional event with the leftovers. But I'm sticking with "no reimbursement." I wouldn't expect one myself.

• Paigesmommy78
    October 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
    would tell her thank u for spending and donating more but we can only reimbursed you the allotted amount or there will be no profit and others will loose money and maybe let her pass on the next fundraiser
  • DestinyHLewis
    October 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM

They were asked to provide one case of water or soda, and one package of candy or chips. Then another person asked me what they should spend. I said, " I wouldn't buy anything  over $20. " This is all on an app that is like a mass group text so everyone sees any response posted. They get a "push" on their phone and it's in one big thread. The app is called GroupMe, if you are familiar, you'd know exactly what I am talking about. I'd never heard of it before a month ago when I was assigned team mom. It works really well, I'm just frustrated this has fallen on me to decide. One friend I asked about it said I never stated they couldn't buy more, was a suggestion. I was like, well I felt like it was a statement and common sense. Then she laughed at me. But for real!?! Who buys that much stuff for a one day fundraiser when you were only asked to buy one of each? 

Quoting gdiamante:

Wait a sec... they were told NOT to spend more than $20 each? Then she spent about $80 over her allotment. She can deduct it from her taxes.

• DestinyHLewis
    October 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM

We will be having more and we all decided just to sell the leftovers at another fundraiser. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Was this a one-time thing, or will there be other soda and candy sales? If so, I'd just say this mom met her donation quota for the season. She just did it up front.

• gdiamante
    October 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM

If I was buying items for a fundraiser I would presume them to be donations and would not expect a single penny back.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN