PrimmednPunked
Should this professor be fired for his opinion?
September 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

An education watchdog group on Sunday called for the firing of an embattled Michigan State University (MSU) professor who was caught in a secret recording earlier this month ranting against Republicans.

“Michigan State must fire prof who went on hateful rant,” said Campus Reform’s Caleb Bonham in a newly released video.

“If Professor William Penn went on a similar rant bashing the LGBT community you would have fired him immediately,” Bonham added in the video.

MSU Creative Writing Professor William Penn said earlier this month Republicans are “a bunch of dead white people” who had “raped” the country and want to prevent black people from voting.

As a result, the school “reassigned” his teaching duties, but reportedly continues to pay him his $146,510 annual salary.

Replies

• AlekD
    by AlekD
    September 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I think he should definitely be punished in the same way as any other teacher who would give a hate speech at the school. I don't happen to know the established rules in those cases at the school.

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    September 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    I rarely agree with people being fired for expressing their opinions, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't face repercussions for what they say.
  • PrimmednPunked
    September 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I agree, firing would be a bit harsh especially if this is the first time he has come under fire for his opinion.  I would say punish him in some way, give him a warning and if he does it again then fire him.

• billsfan1104
    September 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    I Am on fence on this. He sure as shit as would of been fired if he railed on any other "protected class". I am sure this wasn't the first time he did, just the first time he was caught.
  • candlegal
    September 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM

This

Quoting billsfan1104:

I Am on fence on this. He sure as shit as would of been fired if he railed on any other "protected class". I am sure this wasn't the first time he did, just the first time he was caught.

• doomshroom
    September 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    Was he recorded saying it in class, or off duty? My opinion depends on that.
  • futureshock
    September 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM

People should be allowed to have opinions.

• lizzielouaf
    September 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM

When did republicans become a protected class?

• tanyainmizzou
    September 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM

And your opinions can have consequences.

He is a creative writing professor.  There is no reason for his rant in the middle of a class.

Quoting futureshock:

People should be allowed to have opinions.

• Mommy_of_Riley
    Jes
    September 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Who the hell is Caleb Bonham? His rant on the "horrible left" was just as bad as the professor's rant that he is so upset with.