Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
White Greeters Only Requested by Church Because 'First Impressions Matter'
September 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

White Greeters Only Requested by Church Because 'First Impressions Matter'

by Julie Ryan Evans

white only greetersUnbelievable pretty much sums up an email sent by a pastor of a North Carolina church who recently asked that only white people be allowed to act as greeters at the front doors. According to UPI, Pastor Makeda Pennycooke stated that "first impressions matter," and that Freedom House Church wants "the best of the best on the front doors."

"So we would like to ask that only white people be on the front doors."

Is your mouth hanging open, aghast at this blatant racism? Mine still is. Now, it should be noted that Pennycooke is black, and her directive was an attempt to "bring our racial demographic pendulum back to mid-line," but still. There's really nothing that could make this request even remotely okay, no matter who made it.

It's racism plain and simple, no matter what color the pastor's skin, and how incredibly offensive to all members of that church. Carmen Thomas, who previously belonged to the church for two years, quit after seeing the email from the pastor. She told WBTV that she's appalled that someone would try to use deception to bring people to church.

You don't put icing on a chocolate and think that you're eating vanilla. It doesn't make sense. You still know it's chocolate. You still know you're eating a chocolate cake.

Pennycooke and other church officials have since apologized, calling it a lapse in judgment. They told the station, "The pastors have been meeting with staff and church members to confirm their commitment to diversity and to ensure nothing like this happens again." 

At least they realize it was wrong, but nothing can change the fact that it was put out there. I can't imagine attending a church led by someone who has expressed such ugliness.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

What do you think of this pastor's request?

Replies

• Seasidegirl
    September 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Nothing surprises me anymore. Well, one thing. I'm only surprised this wasn't in Florida.

• Mommabearbergh
    September 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    He is a dumbass
  • SherryBerry106
    September 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I don't like the deception part, if you are going to go inside and it be black, then the white greeter is false advertising.

• Debmomto2girls
    September 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM

FFS.  How very Christian of him

• PinkButterfly66
    September 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Not surprised, it's North Carolina.  Sad, but not surprised.  There is still a lot of racism in the South.

• Autumn07
    September 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I don't even have to watch the video. I think it's racist and would never attend a church like that. God is the God of all colors and not just one.

• rfurlongg
    September 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Obviously they are marketing themselves to a very specific market. Good luck with creating a loving accepting atmosphere.
  • kaylamom2004
    September 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

So?

• dawnie1
    by dawnie1
    September 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

OUCH! Cheap shot.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Nothing surprises me anymore. Well, one thing. I'm only surprised this wasn't in Florida.

• dawnie1
    by dawnie1
    September 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I find this shocking, and I am from Florida.kiss mini

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts