Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
IhartU
More than One-Third of Americans Think Gays Can Be "Cured," Study Says
by IhartU
August 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

article image

About 36 percent of the American public believes that if they try hard enough, gay people can turn straight, according to data from the Pew Research Center released on Tuesday.

The research reflects polling conducted in 2012, and as shocking as the numbers seem, the nation has actually eased in this belief as LGBT tolerance has grown. Six years ago, 39 percent of the population claimed that gays could change their orientation — in 2003, an equal number of people believed that gays could and could not switch to the straight side.

Perhaps even more telling, just 51 percent of the country believes that homosexuals cannot change their preferences, meaning that nearly half the population thinks there is at least a slight chance that sexuality is reprogrammable.

These numbers reflect the vast amount of misinformation that has long plagued the homosexual community, even as so-called “conversion therapy” has been proven effective time and time again.

As far back as 1998, the American Psychological Association (APA) came out against attempting to convert gay people, claiming that societal judgment and pressure, not homosexuality, was the true threat to the LBGT community.

The report read “The potential risks of reparative therapy are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient.”

In 2009, an APA analysis of current research revealed that little evidence exists to support conversion therapy, despite unfounded promises made by religious groups who condemn homosexuals.

The latest report stated "These studies show that enduring change to an individual's sexual orientation is uncommon," and cited treatment side effects like "loss of sexual feeling, depression, suicidality and anxiety.”

Gay conversion has grown so unpopular that states are now lining up to bar the practice. California led the way, and just Monday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed a measure to ban it from his state. Washington may be next, as State Rep. Marko Liias is pushing for a similar bill.

Sources: Huffington Post, PewResearch, Politico, KOMO News

Replies

• rfurlongg
    August 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    I did not follow the link but I would be curious to see their sampling. On the positive side 36% is a vast improvement from when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's.
  • snookyfritz
    August 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I don't think it's changeable in most cases. 

• FromAtoZ
    August 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM

There is some forward movement here.

Back when I was in school, I would say a hell of a lot more people were ignorant and believed incorrectly.

Ya know, even for some one who may make the conscience choice to 'be gay'......so what!  

The money wasted on some of these 'studies' and such must be astounding.

• sweet-a-kins
    August 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Baby they were born that way

• Clairwil
    August 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    Quoting IhartU:

As far back as 1998, the American Psychological Association (APA) came out against attempting to convert gay people, claiming that societal judgment and pressure, not homosexuality, was the true threat to the LBGT community.

This is a matter of science.

Yet I wonder how that 1/3 looks, when you break it down by political affiliation.

• slashteddy
    August 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Disgusting. People are idiots.

• RandRMomma
    August 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM
    I used to think that. Then I realized that I was trying to rid of my feelings because of what I had been taught.

We're born this way. Just ask Lady GaGa!
  • impostagothkat
    August 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM
    I feel bad for the lgbt community. Being gay has been around since time began and animals have also been shown to be gay. Uhh I am at a loss for words with issues like this
  • aehutmacher
    August 26, 2013 at 12:51 AM
    What, through exorcism? You know, because homosexuality is the work of the devil.
  • Goodwoman614
    August 26, 2013 at 4:00 AM

I wonder what the correlation is between this and the percentage of Americans who are ill-educated, backward dumbasses.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN