Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
copasetic1
His Year of LIving Biblically
August 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/aj-jacobs-ted_n_3762549.html?1376674237&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D361843

If you say you take the bible literally, as god's word, you Don't. It's not even close. Unless you are all for killing your daughters if they have sex before marriage. Watch this.

Replies

• snookyfritz
    August 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Oy!

• AlekD
    by AlekD
    August 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

• snookyfritz
    August 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

• momtoscott
    August 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

This was a really interesting book.  I read it when it came out a couple of years ago.  

• famiglia_bella
    August 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

LOL.  I'm clicking it, should be interesting....

• TranquilMind
    August 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

This confuses the ceremonial and civil law of Israel, which we no longer follow, with the moral law, which is true for all time. 

HERE is the law we follow:

The two great commandments that contain the whole law of God are:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
    Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

• LuvmyAiden
    August 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

While I haven't read the book I find it very interesting. Many of the more extreme notions gotten from the bible are old testament, which is not exactly relevant to the living of life after the death of Jesus. Also translation from the original to the english language has left many things under debate. One word can change a lot.

• jaxTheMomm
    August 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Oh I totally meant to read this book!  Need to order it.

I heard an interview with him shortly after it came out.  He really did try to do it.  I remember him saying something about when you encounter someone who's doing XYZ, you are supposed to stone them.  He had to try and work out what he could do, so he always kept small stones and dust in his pocket so he could carefully toss it in the right direction when a stoning was required.

• rfurlongg
    August 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    I did as well. I thought it was great.

Quoting momtoscott:

This was a really interesting book.  I read it when it came out a couple of years ago.  

• unspecified42
    August 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    Many Jewish households still follow these laws and traditions.

Quoting TranquilMind:

This confuses the ceremonial and civil law of Israel, which we no longer follow, with the moral law, which is true for all time. 

HERE is the law we follow:

The two great commandments that contain the whole law of God are:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
    Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts