Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
coronado25
Anyone concerned about GMOs interested in this website?
July 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM
http://www.fao.org/food/food-safety-quality/gm-foods-platform/en/

Seems to be a good thing for all viewpoints!

Replies

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    July 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Knew you couldn't answer that

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting Sekirei:

Are you saying Japan lacks the intellect?

Quoting coronado25:

Supercarp's statement applies to intellect on the subject of biotech in agriculture.

• coronado25
    July 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    No, but lawmakers and legislative bodies often lack intellect on subjects like genetics...just like a geneticist would most likely lack intellect about lawmaking.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting coronado25:

Supercarp's statement applies to intellect on the subject of biotech in agriculture.

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    July 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Sooooo basically the us government is the same.
    Also Japan conducted their own studies along with other countries that have banned it. They came up with similar results. The us is the only one to say they are safe. Once again. Red flag. Japan has some of the best scientists in the world. I will take their word over us government funded studies

Quoting coronado25:

No, but lawmakers and legislative bodies often lack intellect on subjects like genetics...just like a geneticist would most likely lack intellect about lawmaking.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting coronado25:

• coronado25
    July 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Look, I posted a website that was born from a public desire for more transparency in agricultural biotech and all these comments lead me to believe that everyone believes anything that aims to give the gmo fearful public what they ask for is only viewed as a conspiracy. It is laughable and cryable at once.
  • stormcris
    July 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Not actually true. This is a bit much for people to search through though. 

Can you explain why GMOs are significantly better than using hybrids to reach the same results?

Quoting coronado25:

Look, I posted a website that was born from a public desire for more transparency in agricultural biotech and all these comments lead me to believe that everyone believes anything that aims to give the gmo fearful public what they ask for is only viewed as a conspiracy. It is laughable and cryable at once.

• 2Gs
    by 2Gs
    July 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I'm sorry OP.  I didn't mean to be so abrasive towards you... i'm just frustrated with this issue!  My problem is that I don't want to consume GMO's and that is becoming very difficult.  I don't know how anyone can defend them or why they would want to.  I get that there are different levels of genetic modification and that some of it isn't bad or harmful in the least.  But much of this science is going beyond common sense..

Quoting coronado25:

This is not a post about a corporation this post was for discussion and commentary on the link I posted.

Quoting 2Gs:

First and foremost I'm a capitalist, but also a conservative republican who fully supports big business.   I do not believe on conspiracy theories in general, but Monsanto is as close to a REAL conspiracy as I've ever seen.  We're just about out of options for buying non GMO corn thanks to these greedy fucks.  

Even if GMO's are not as harmful as some think, don't we at least deserve the option to not consume them?  Monsanto is making it near impossible to get a non-GMO ear of corn that doesn't cost $2.  Plus every kernel of corn tastes the same.  

The link sucked.

• coronado25
    July 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    I have a lot to say on what you have said, but I am trying to keep post on topic and not let it spiral down into political mire. Do you or do you not think the website aimed for greater transparency is a good thing or not?

Quoting Sekirei:

Sooooo basically the us government is the same.

Also Japan conducted their own studies along with other countries that have banned it. They came up with similar results. The us is the only one to say they are safe. Once again. Red flag. Japan has some of the best scientists in the world. I will take their word over us government funded studies

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting coronado25:

• coronado25
    July 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Yes and no, Stormchris. That can be found in any genetics tutorial on the subject of recombinant dna. I am not a teacher or a scientist. But you can look up recombinant dna online I am sure to understand it and then it will be clear, the benefits and also, the drawbacks. Hybridizing a particular allele or amany on different loci gives results with a far higher specifity than hybridizing entire genomes, as does traditional farming.

Quoting stormcris:

Not actually true. This is a bit much for people to search through though. 

Can you explain why GMOs are significantly better than using hybrids to reach the same results?

Quoting coronado25:

• supercarp
    July 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Actually, I was thinking of countries whose leadership is in constant power struggle and actively starve their constituents for the purpose of retaining power.

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting coronado25:

• coronado25
    July 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    Whoa, heavy! Thanks for the clarification! Yep, that is a concern.

Quoting supercarp:

Actually, I was thinking of countries whose leadership is in constant power struggle and actively starve their constituents for the purpose of retaining power.

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting coronado25:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts