Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
candlegal
IRS mistakenly posted 100,000 Social Security numbers to gov't website: group
July 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

The IRS mistakenly posted the Social Security numbers of tens of thousands of Americans on a government website, the agency confirmed Monday night. One estimate put the figure as high as 100,000 names.

The numbers were posted to an IRS database for tax-exempt political groups known as 527s and first discovered by the group Public.Resource.org.

The California-based group said it learned of the "privacy breach" Tuesday while working on an unrelated audit of an “improperly vetted shipment” of IRS data on DVDs and promptly informed the agency, which shut down the site the next day.

AP
The IRS mistakenly posted the Social Security numbers of tens of thousands of Americans on a government website, the agency confirmed Monday night.

An IRS spokesman told FoxNews.com on Monday the agency was alerted about a "substantial number" of Social Security numbers posted on the site and removed web access to the information "out of an abundance of caution." The spokesman also said the IRS is now "assessing the situation and exploring available options."

A message on the agency’s 527 homepage asks visitors to check back Monday, but the site was still down Monday evening.

source

Replies

• candlegal
    July 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I wonder if they were all tea party people.

• candlegal
    July 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Get away from abortion and homosexual posts and look, no replies.

• blondekosmic15
    July 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Quoting candlegal:

Get away from abortion and homosexual posts and look, no replies.

Telling.....

• blondekosmic15
    July 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Mistakenly....hmm

• TranquilMind
    July 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Nice.  I feel so secure, knowing that my government is watching (out for) me. 

• OHgirlinCA
    July 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

The IRS is full of incompetant morons.... talk about an agency needing a major overhaul!

• Ms.Chrln
    July 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    Ugh not surprised
  • UpSheRises
    July 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Were they actually soc's for individuals or were they EIN'sfor groups? The title says individuals but the story says it was a database of 527's.

• jaxTheMomm
    July 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

This type of thing (private or govt accidentally publishing info it shouldn't) happens far more than most people realize.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts